"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Hello, my name is Bob and I am a Jar Saver....

I save jars... can't seem to help it. When I empty a pickle jar or olives, or just about anything, I wash it and put it in a safe place.

Am I alone? What do you do with your empty jars? I use mine to mix and store salad dressing. I put unused portions from a can of black olives in them- keep way longer then tupperware. Large jars get homemade pickles...
Then there is the stash in the garage.

What do you do with yours?

Do I need a 12 step program?

Old 07-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Head Chef

I thought I was the only one with this affliction!!! I know that I picked up this habit from my grandmother, whom also never met a jar she didn't like!!!! Shoot, even neighbors have started saving jars to give to me (I'm in deep trouble here, lol!).

Old 07-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Well, I'm not a jar saver but before my 12 steps, I'd save all the plastic containers that food or spices came in. I don't have that many leftovers and the containers were filling up a whole cabinet....90% of the time, I couldn't find the correct lid, anyway.

Now I have a small set of Gladmate or whatever that is called and it suits me perfectly.

It still hurts to throw out good and useable plastics, but I have remained strong. Of course I have to drink while cooking now so my tossing the containers isn't as painful.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Master Chef

Oh Bob - I can SO relate - lol!!!! Although luckily my addiction is only for small to tiny jars.

The tiny ones (like the jars dice pimientos & preserved caviar come in) I use for leftover canned anchovies. I just pop them in & cover them with some extra-virgin olive oil & into the fridge. They last very well this way without getting too "fishy".

Slightly larger ones (like marinated artichoke hearts come in) I use for leftover chipotle chilis in adobe sauce (unless I'm freezing them), leftover canned caponata, leftover canned Indian curry pastes - in fact, literally anything & everything that came in a small can that I'm not ready to freeze yet.

As for a non-food use? The small jars are wonderful for disinfecting the umbilical cord stumps of newborn foals. I half-fill the jars with iodine & dip/splash the stump. This is a very important ritual with newborn foals, as the umbilical cord is a major entryway for infection until it seals, dries up, & drops off.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Master Chef

Spices, salsas, sauces, nuts, dried fruit, leftover items from cans. I also use them to soak and clean my jewelry. Great at Thanksgiving to send leftovers home with friends and family.

Where is the next meeting?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Head Chef

Oh no!!! I still save plastics too!!!! Does mean I need to go through the program twice?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Executive Chef

ROFL I went to the plastics meetings, and no longer save them all. When I collect too many jars, they end up in the recycling bin. Let me know the time and date of the jar meetings.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Master Chef

Jars are my passion! You can use them for all sorts of cool Christmas gifts. Fill them with homemade spice blends, soup mixes, pot pourri, homemade cookies or candy, party mix, even jelly beans or nuts. Cut a small circle of pretty fabric, place over the jar lid, and secure with a ribbon. Make up some pretty labels with your computor, and you have a lovely gift.

When Jesse was an infant, I asked my daughter to save baby food jars for me. I then ordered exotic bulk spices from Frontier (they sell by the pound), and made up little spice assortments for Christmas gifts.

Baby food jars are also great in the workshop. Screw the lids to the bottom of a shelf, then sort all your little nails and screws, and screw the jars onto the lids. Then you have everything in plain sight without taking up work space. Of course you could do that with larger jars too.

For seamstresses & crafters, jars are great for storing buttons, beads, sequins, etc.

Another use for interesting looking jars is use as containers for assorted cuttings of ivy, philodendron, etc, and put in the kitchen windowsill to look pretty. Or fill a jar with seashells or pretty stones.

And if you have kids, don't forget that peanut butter jars are great "bug jars".
Old 07-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Jars are my passion! You can use them for all sorts of cool Christmas gifts. Fill them with homemade spice blends, soup mixes, pot pourri, homemade cookies or candy, party mix, even jelly beans or nuts. Cut a small circle of pretty fabric, place over the jar lid, and secure with a ribbon. Make up some pretty labels with your computor, and you have a lovely gift.

When Jesse was an infant, I asked my daughter to save baby food jars for me. I then ordered exotic bulk spices from Frontier (they sell by the pound), and made up little spice assortments for Christmas gifts.

Baby food jars are also great in the workshop. Screw the lids to the bottom of a shelf, then sort all your little nails and screws, and screw the jars onto the lids. Then you have everything in plain sight without taking up work space. Of course you could do that with larger jars too.

For seamstresses & crafters, jars are great for storing buttons, beads, sequins, etc.

Another use for interesting looking jars is use as containers for assorted cuttings of ivy, philodendron, etc, and put in the kitchen windowsill to look pretty. Or fill a jar with seashells or pretty stones.

And if you have kids, don't forget that peanut butter jars are great "bug jars".
See!!! That is the way I feel about all sizes of jars!!! I can't help it if I have more saved than I can use in the next 10 years!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Master Chef

I use to have this addiction but since our town has started to recycle glass I have learned to let go. Hard as it is, I know it is for the best.