HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casual Cairo

Assistant Cook
I'm new here and hoping we have some excellent and experienced home makers as I have a problem I have no idea how to fix.

Yesterday I made what should have been a delicious beef stew in my slow cooker. The recipe I was following has about twice the amount of black pepper and twice the amount of Worchester sauce in it that I'd like. What can anyone recommend to try to fix this? Any ideas?

Thanks

Welcome to DC (DiscussCooking) You can try adding more vegetables, carrots and potatoes. Otherwise there is no fix for this, no way to remove what is already in there.

You could try removing the meat and vegetables from the sauce and making a new sauce using part of the sauce from the original stew and some fresh gravy made from canned broth or bouillon powder, tomato sauce, canned cream of mushroom soup etc...

I would probably drain the stew and chop the meat and vegetables for hash.

Good luck!

And next time cut the spices in half.
Oh and other little tip, if something has a strong spice and you think it may have to sit awhile, cut down the spice.

You could remove the meat and vegetables and stir in some plain yogurt. It will mellow out the overly done spices, but reduce the over all flavor a bit. I've had success doing that when I added too much curry powder to my lamb stew.

Last edited:
Save the meat and veg, ditch the sauce, ( you'll never be happy with it) and make a standard gravy instead.Serve with some mashed potatoes. It may not be the most exciting meal but at least you won't have wasted the lot. Or, freeze the meat/veg for another time. Add it to the next stew you make or make a pie with it. Lots of choices once you've saved it. Good luck, we've all been there!

Save the meat and veg, ditch the sauce...

Maybe...maybe just add some plain yogurt to the stew liquid. It may tone down the flavor at first, but the left on spices on the meat and vegetables should bring up the overall stew flavor to where you wanted it.

It's a shame to just ditch the stew liquid. That's the best part!

Last edited:
Along with the yogurt addition, I would serve the stew over something bland like rice (easy on the salt), couscous or mashed potatoes. The sauce will blend with the bland base and even out flavors.

Back
Top Bottom