Help - is it safe?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
Kraft Original BBQ sauce. Unopened and dated Aug 2015.
Tasted it and it seemed fine. But I cannot trust my taste buds.
Save me a last minute trip to go get some more.
Is it safe and should I trust it?
Thanks.

Help!

It's vinegar based, right? Should be fine. I'd use it, but that's just me. Others may have other opinions.

Last edited:
NO it is possibly not safe......give me your address and I will come right over and be your taster, to be sure you are safe! ha ha... it's probably good, the vinegar, the sugar, the salt, it's probably safe until 2030. <wink wink face>

I agree that it is safe to eat. Now, is it good to eat? That's subjective.

CD ;)

Use it RB. :)

You've tasted it and you ain't dead yet so it's proved itself safe. ;)

Very few products have an expiration date. It's a "Best By Date".
The quality past that date "may" suffer and the manufacturer is stating only that.

I've eaten many things past the date stamped on the can and lived.

Some of them the US government gave me to eat. Things canned in the 40's and 50's were fed to me in the 60's and 70's.

Take it all on a case by case basis.

I am late to the party, as usual, but from my Food Safe Level II training, you can use it once, but once it is opened, any that is left should be used right away or chucked. It is like taking meat out of the freezer - the 3 day rule doesn't apply once it is past the date.

I am late to the party, as usual, but from my Food Safe Level II training, you can use it once, but once it is opened, any that is left should be used right away or chucked. It is like taking meat out of the freezer - the 3 day rule doesn't apply once it is past the date.
Really? Condiments in the same category as raw meat? I keep ketchup, mustard, and BBQ sauce in the fridge for a long, long time.

Really? Condiments in the same category as raw meat? I keep ketchup, mustard, and BBQ sauce in the fridge for a long, long time.
Same here. Years, in some cases. I've had food safety training as well (my ServSafe certificate is good till September lol) and I've never heard this.

Last edited:
Help!

I have some very "well aged" ketchup, worchestershire, and Bone Sucking sauce. Long past their best by dates. I use 'em.

Last edited:
I never eat food 2 years out of date, yes a few months but not years. Why, because you cant taste the level bacteria in it and yes sure it can be safe, but why chance it?

Should say my first mother in law used to use primary modly stuff, old condiments and food out of date in her cooking. She might have been fine, but I wasnt, I got sick on regular basis eating her food. The only time I dared eat it was on parties, because then everything was fresh or if I saw what she was cooking and saw the date.

Last edited:
I felt I needed to at least let everyone know I'm not dead. Yet!

I normally never use bottled BBQ sauce as I make my own. But, when I do the turkey wings in the dutch oven, a cup of any sauce will usually cut it. I mostly/only use Sweet Baby Ray's. I get it at Costco, so it should have been on hand. It wasn't.
So, I was out and found this old jar of Kraft way back in the pantry.

Right after some of you answered, my wife texted me and asked if I needed anything from grocery store (all she had to do was look at the damn app on her phone).
I said no and went myself as I needed a couple more items.
I bought a new bottle for $1.99. Bulls Eye or something like that.

Thanks again.

Kraft Original BBQ sauce. Unopened and dated Aug 2015.
Tasted it and it seemed fine. But I cannot trust my taste buds.
Save me a last minute trip to go get some more.
Is it safe and should I trust it?
Thanks.

Past date or not, chuck it! Its Krapft!;)

Past date or not, chuck it! Its Krapft!;)

When it comes to my braised, BBQ'ed turkey wings or thighs, cheap bottled sauce is the go to for me. Easy, fast and usually on hand.
By the time the braise is done, no one would ever guess there was cheap bottled sauce in it.
Keep in mind I use only a few squirts(a little less than one cup) into the braise after one hour braising in cheap beer.
Any beer I have on hand.
I used Bulls Eye this time and it tasted just like the last time. I used Sweet Baby Ray's last time.

I would never consider using it for actual BBQ'ing or as a finishing sauce.
Its not good enough to stand on its own. But is great in the braise.

Your first clue that the sauce was OK.... it is in a plastic bottle, no? it was not swollen? it had never been opened? the seal was still in place, unbroken?

and it smelled and tasted good... use it! but then yes, once opened, keep an eye on it. In this particular case because of the ingredients... it will, in all probability, be good til you make your wings again.

I've lived in this house for over 10 years now, I just bought a new bottle of ketchup. I believe I had that bottle for about 6 years before I moved here.
AND I don't keep it in the fridge! It is in the cupboard, always has been.

But for some peculiar reason I keep my Chili Sauce and yellow mustard in the fridge, along with the different Dijon's. Weird. Don't know why, has no more reason to be there than the ketchup.
HP and A1 are in the cupboard along with all my Asian sauces.

Since I BBQ in Texas, there is generally no sauce involved. You could probably get thrown out of some Texas BBQ joints for asking for sauce.

However, when I do put sauce on the table, I seldom make it from scratch. I start with a bottled brand, like KC Masterpiece, and add stuff to it. I always add real honey and hot sauce, like Sriracha or Tabasco, and some fresh herbs from my garden. I simmer it to reduce it. I prefer to enhance a base sauce to going all the way from scratch.

CD

Back
Top Bottom