Help Basil Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
I am such a pain....don't ya just love me?
smile.gif
I am making a recipe that calls for dried basil and I want to use fresh instead. To me it can only make the appys better with fresh, but there is my problem. I need 3 tbsp & 1 tsp of dried basil.....how much fresh basil would that be?

What is your recipe? It depends, usually you can just play it by ears and add as needed...
The key is not to overcook, if at all, the fresh basil leaves, it will kill off all the intense flavours when it is cooked too much.

The recipe is for Bacon and Tomato Cups, but I found a site that gives some great info. I just don't have the time to read it now, so will have to read later. This is what they said about using fresh

Making the change

Essential oils are more concentrated in dried herbs so you use less. If you want to substitute dried herbs in a recipe that calls for fresh, the conversion is simple. Reduce tablespoons to teaspoons; two Tablespoons of fresh oregano equals two teaspoons dried.

Ginger is an exception to this interchangeable rule. If a recipe calls for fresh ginger, you cannot substitute ground. The flavors are completely different.

Here is the site in case anyone is interested.

http://apinchof.com/index.html

IcyMist said:
Ginger is an exception to this interchangeable rule. If a recipe calls for fresh ginger, you cannot substitute ground. The flavors are completely different.

Acutally, to me the flavours of fresh basil and dried basil are rather different as well... I would never make a pesto with dried basil if I used a bucket of them!!

Rule of thumb for herbs is: use roughly 2-3 times as much fresh herb as dried herb. ie is your recipe calls for 1 tablespoon dried basil, then use 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil. It doesn't need to be precise! A good sized sprig will do the trick. Best to add fresh herbs towards the end of cooking time, too. Some lose their flavour with prolonged cooking, others become bitter. It's trial and error. Basil is very well-behaved, and retains its flavour well.

And definitely, fresh really IS best when it comes to the majority of herbs. You can be surprised at the difference in flavour. To me, dried basil tastes not unlike dried grass.

Fresh basil tastes nothing like dried basil and can't be compared. Basil is one of those herbs that is NOT good when dried. Smell both of them and you'll see. If you're using fresh basil, always put it in the pot at the last minute and don't let it cook. It loses it's flavor very fast when cooked.

I agree that fresh and dried basil are very different.

Without seeing the recipe, may guess would be to chiffonade some basil and sprinkle it on after cooking, just before serving. How much is up to your taste.

marmalady said:
Icy, if you're going to be baking those cups, the fresh basil is probably going to turn black.

Wow, I am so glad I asked about basil because they will be baked and I do NOT think black bits would be very appealing to the eye. TY TY TY TY TY

Here is a link in case you want to see the recipe for yourselves.

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/BaconAndTomatoCups.asp

Last edited:
After looking at your recipe, I suggest you substitute dried oregano for the basil. The oregano is pretty strong, though, so you may want to reduce the amount. I'd just sprinkle a pinch on top of each little cup.
That's a good-looking recipe, by the way. I saved it to try with my grandson.

I agree with Connie, use dried oregano instead. I often do this substitution when we don't have any fresh basil ready. Dried oregano maintains better, fuller flavour than dried basil.

Drama Queen said:
Fresh basil tastes nothing like dried basil and can't be compared. Basil is one of those herbs that is NOT good when dried. Smell both of them and you'll see. If you're using fresh basil, always put it in the pot at the last minute and don't let it cook. It loses it's flavor very fast when cooked.

I disagree 100%.

I have some lovely fragrant dry basil from my garden that is wonderful in tomato sauces and other things. Penzey's basil is very good too.

Fresh and dry basil have their own uses in the culinary world. With dry, it's important that you use a good quality product.

Funny how we all agree to disagree sometimes. I don't think that dried basil tastes llike much of anything. I also agree that fresh basil is best tossed in at the last minute. I think it is very much a taste thing. I'd take a half-dozen leaves of fresh, chifonade it, and toss it on top of the dish before serving if fresh is rare to find. That is the most bang for the buck. Many of us will have tons of fresh basil in the next months. Yes, like most herbs (or other kinds of greens; spinach turns dark as well), fresh basil will turn dark when cooked. Just chop it finely so that there aren't globs of it.

You say chifonade it, I say butcher it to itty bitty pieces that are unrecognizable.

I see no problem using fresh basil for these. You need to chop it of course. But dried would be just fine. Actually dried basil is one of the best herbs on the planet. Of course you wouldn't make pesto the normal way with dried, but a winter pesto can be made by using parsley and/or spinach with dried basil. The other way to make this attractive would be to go ahead and use the dried and put a fresh leaf on each to serve.
A good way to "chop" basil is to roll the leaves into a cylinder and snip with scissors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom