Help - Beef Stroganoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I'm sure it will be interesting and their Beef Stroganoff recipe is probably as authentic as anybody else's.

Reading in the foodtimeline.org, that recipe is derivative of a number of older recipes.

"...The last prominent scion of the dynasty, Count Pavel Stroganoff, was a celebrity in turn-of-the-century St. Petersburg, a dignitary at the court of Alexander III, a member of the Imperial Academy of Arts, and a gourmet. It is doubtful that Beef Stroganoff was his or his chef's invention since the recipe was included in the 1871 edition of the Molokhovets cookbook...which predates his fame as a gourmet. Not a new recipe, by the way, but a refined version of an even older Russian recipe, it had probably been in the family for some years and became well known through Pavel Stroganoff's love of entertaining."

We must really love horse meat, cause we're sure beating this one!:ROFLMAO:

I too serve Stroganoff over fries. Some of my research indicates this is sometimes done in Russia, but I've never been able to convince anybody that was true. (I've never been there so what do I know? All I have is the Internet.)

I think Stroganoff over fries is much better than over noodles.

I've posted a reply to a different topic (a daily menu topic) but I feel the current topic would not be complete without the following information:

-----------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_stroganoff

A 1912 recipe adds onions and tomato paste, and serves it with crisp potato straws, which are considered the traditional side dish in Russia.[2]
[2]
  1. Joyce Toomre, ed., Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' A Gift to Young Housewives, 1992; first edition of Molokhovets was 1861; the 1912 recipe mentioned be Toomre is in Alekandrova-Ignat'eva.
I actually got this book from my public library and verified it was exactly as described, that the editor (Toomre) quoted the 1912 recipe as using potato straws (thin, crispy French fries, in my own words).

Not something I dreamed up. Something I read about, and tried, and totally works!

Not French fries. Crisp potato straws. Any mention of "French fries" was my own modern interpretation of the side serving described in the 1912 recipe.

What would you call "crisp potato straws?"

Last edited:
Dawgluver said:
Shoestring potatoes?

I remember the ones in the can.

Yum. I remember those. I loved them. I wonder if they still make em...

Not French fries. Crisp potato straws. Any mention of "French fries" was my own modern interpretation of the side serving described in the 1912 recipe.

That is why I used the quotation marks. To underscore that I was using your expression. Nobody heard of string shoe or any other types of fancy potatoes accept plain boiled, or plain fried, or mashed potato. Nothing.

That is why I used the quotation marks. To underscore that I was using your expression. Nobody heard of string shoe or any other types of fancy potatoes accept plain boiled, or plain fried, or mashed potato. Nothing.
You should read the book, Joyce Toomre, ed., Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' A Gift to Young Housewives, and particularly the approx. 100 page introduction where the translator discusses that the book refers to the food eaten mostly by the aristocrat class. The poor people, particularly during bad times, were lucky if they had any food at all let alone Beef Stroganoff served over crisp potato straws.

You must be a pretty old fellow to know what Russia was like in 1912. But really, you should get this book from your public library and read a few parts of it. It is not a cookbook! It is more about history of a cuisine than anything else, and in fact most of the recipes are not really presented in usable form, particularly since they did not use measurements like we use in modern times, and even many of the ingredients were different in the 19th century (when the book first came out).

Last edited:
You were the one who brought up 1912 or the quotation from 1912. I didn't say anything about 1912 except quoting you. I'm talking about modern times. And I do know about the book you are quoting from. It has nothing to do with what has been going on in Russia during the last 70 years. We were talking about what was being served in Russia today, not 100 years ago. So go back and reread what you wrote and what the thread was meant to be about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom