Help - Beef Stroganoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clinton

Assistant Cook
Hello people. My wife's favourite dish is Beef Stroganof. Anyone have a easy recipe to share?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you would consider this easy or not, but it's very good.

Beef Stroganov

1 T Powdered mustard​
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
4 Tb Oil
2 Tb Butter
4 C mushrooms, sliced thin
4 C Onions, sliced thin
2 Lb Tenderloin or Sirloin
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Pt Sour cream

Combine the mustard, half the sugar, and a pinch of salt with a Tb of hot tap water and stir to form a paste. Let it stand for 15 minutes.

Heat half the oil in a large fry pan or skillet. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir. Cook covered over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard the juices.

Trim all fat from the beef and slice into strips 0.25” by 1”.

Place the remaining oil and the butter in a hot fry pan or skillet. Brown the meat rapidly over high heat. Cook the meat in several small batches to ensure rapid browning.

Return all the meat to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Add the remaining salt, pepper, sugar and mustard paste.

Add the sour cream a spoonful at a time and mix in gradually until it is all heated through.

Serve over buttered egg noodles (one pound) or rice (2 cups).

Beef Stroganoff is very easy. Here is no amount, no problem thing to do. Get some chuck meat, have the butcher slice it thinly against the grain. Come home, preheat a thick bottom pot or even pan, in the meantime dice some onion, if you like more take more, if you like less take less, doesn't matter it is up to your taste. Sautee the onion until just soft, make sure to season it with the seasoning you personally like, or your wife, up know salt, pepper, Paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, etc. Dredge the meat in some flour and add it to the pan, sauté for few minutes, make sure to season the meat also. Add a little bit of water, just to cover the meat. Add a lot of sour cream, mix well, cover the pot/pan, bring it the boil, turn the heat down to a low medium, and cook it for couple of hours. Taste, re-season if necessary, serve.

I have found that the best results usually come from a combination of sources so here is my recipe which is from many other recipes.

Savannahsmoker's Beef Stroganoff
1 pound of top sirloin or tenderloin, cut thin into 1-inch wide by 1/4 inch thick by 1 1/2-inch long strips. Salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons of flour
1/3 cup chopped shallots (can substitute onions)
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves of mince garlic
1 cup of red wine
1 can beef broth
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of dry tarragon or 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon
2 teaspoon Dijon prepared mustard
2 teaspoons of Westchester sauce
2 cups sour cream
1 pound egg noodles
½ cup of green onions for garnish

Add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and heat to medium high.
Salt and pepper meat and lightly flour.
Brown on both sides and removed.
Add remaining butter, shallots, mushrooms garlic and cook until shallots are tender and mushrooms are cooked down. About 12 to 15 minutes
Deglaze skillet with wine and reduce. About 5 to 10 minutes
Add breef broth, nutmeg, tarragon, mustard and Westchester sauce and reduce.
Add meat and cook until tender.
Reduce heat and stir in 1 cup sour cream
Cook egg noodles per instuctions.
Pour stroganoff over noodles. Add sour cream to taste and garnish with green onions.

I prefer our homemade worchestershire!;) (wooshter sheer or war chester shIre):ohmy:

I always thought Stroganoff used very tender steak slices cooked for only a minute or a very few minutes. Like on an alcohol or Sterno flame right at the table.

I always thought Stroganoff used very tender steak slices cooked for only a minute or a very few minutes. Like on an alcohol or Sterno flame right at the table.

Welcome to hamburger stroganoff! The other substitute version!;)

That is the most authentic recipe. As with many recipes, it's been modified many times and in many ways.

Charlie's (cook for a couple of hours) or Savannah's (cook until tender, could be mere minutes) or yours? (cook rapidly over high heat) Savannah's recipe is more in line with what I've cooked (probably yours too), although I'm still working on my own recipe and it's not ready for prime time.

I've used filet mignon and cut it perhaps 3/16" thick, and probably cooked no more than a couple minutes. I precooked the mushrooms and other ingredients as described above.

I think with a sufficiently tender cut (e.g. FM) and sufficiently thin slices the meat could be cooked in no more than 2-3 minutes. Or maybe I have a totally wrong concept of Stroganoff.

Charlie's (cook for a couple of hours) or Savannah's (cook until tender, could be mere minutes) or yours? (cook rapidly over high heat) Savannah's recipe is more in line with what I've cooked (probably yours too), although I'm still working on my own recipe and it's not ready for prime time.

I've used filet mignon and cut it perhaps 3/16" thick, and probably cooked no more than a couple minutes. I precooked the mushrooms and other ingredients as described above.

I think with a sufficiently tender cut (e.g. FM) and sufficiently thin slices the meat could be cooked in no more than 2-3 minutes. Or maybe I have a totally wrong concept of Stroganoff.

I've used FM and strip steak.

Coming from russia, good meat was at the premium, ah, who am I kidding, everything was at the premium. :LOL: But if one uses Prime cut versus chuck, per my suggestion that is where the difference of time comes in. In fact I failed to say "until tender" that would have been more correct description.

keep it simple,quick & with fries as the russians do:i use shoestring oven fries,they take 15 mins in the oven which is how long it takes to prep & cook the stroganoff so no probs with timings
I too serve Stroganoff over fries. Some of my research indicates this is sometimes done in Russia, but I've never been able to convince anybody that was true. (I've never been there so what do I know? All I have is the Internet.)

I think Stroganoff over fries is much better than over noodles.

Coming from russia, good meat was at the premium, ah, who am I kidding, everything was at the premium. :LOL: But if one uses Prime cut versus chuck, per my suggestion that is where the difference of time comes in. In fact I failed to say "until tender" that would have been more correct description.
hey charlie
i guess stroganoff is another dish like paella,bouillabaise,lancashire hot pot & irish stew.....everyones got their own "authentic version" so,what the heck,you wanna make it with chuck then make it with chuck:LOL:!!
everything @ a premium?not vodka i trust:ohmy:!

I too serve Stroganoff over fries. Some of my research indicates this is sometimes done in Russia, but I've never been able to convince anybody that was true. (I've never been there so what do I know? All I have is the Internet.)

I've never tried it over fries. I hate my fries being soggy, even if it's with a delicious sauce.

show 'em the video greg,it must be true it's in colour:LOL:!
absolutely right about the fries greg,i think it's that textural thing like with chinese & thai food etc....the contrast of soft with crunchy,sweet & sour etc
works for me:yum:!

I've never tried it over fries. I hate my fries being soggy, even if it's with a delicious sauce.
1. Don't get carried away with the sauce.

2. Serve the Stroganoff next to the fries instead of over. (I generally serve it sort of part next to and part over.)

I always make fries extra crunchy. I usually make them in the oven and cook them longer than most people would. Extra crunchy fries are less subject to getting soggy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom