Help - Beef Stroganoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harry Cobean said:
hey charlie
i guess stroganoff is another dish like paella,bouillabaise,lancashire hot pot & irish stew.....everyones got their own "authentic version" so,what the heck,you wanna make it with chuck then make it with chuck:LOL:!!
everything @ a premium?not vodka i trust:ohmy:!

During Gorbachev even vodka was at premium ;)

I too serve Stroganoff over fries. Some of my research indicates this is sometimes done in Russia, but I've never been able to convince anybody that was true. (I've never been there so what do I know? All I have is the Internet.)

I think Stroganoff over fries is much better than over noodles.
Add some cheese curds and you've got Stroganoff poutine. :LOL:

As far as potato, indeed Russians serve it with mashed potato. Making a nice indent in the midle and putting meat right inside of it.

As far as potato, indeed Russians serve it with mashed potato. Making a nice indent in the midle and putting meat right inside of it.

I could see this dish served over mashed potatoes. Mashed and gravy or sauce are a natural.

I ususally make Stroganoff with top round. I am sure I have used a chuck roast too (what the hey- on sale). I also cook in a slow oven for a longer period of time. Serve on egg noodles. I think a good sauce is what makes Stroganoff special.

In all the truth the absolute best for beefstrogonoff is the eye of the rib eye roast. Then all you need is to cook it for no more than 10-15 minutes, depending on cut and it's done.

The Wikipedia article: Beef Stroganoff makes interesting reading. Perhaps that's where I got the idea to serve it over French fries (potato straws). The article makes the point that the recipe has become popular around the world, with many regional variations.

So, everybody, what do you think? With or without tomato paste or other tomato ingredient? I say with!

I think we can all agree on mushrooms... (but maybe not).

I'm not sure the recipe should have onions. (I like to use thinly sliced shallots, and some minced garlic.)

Mustard or not. (I prefer it with.)

Quick cooking or slow cooking? My vision of Stroganoff uses a very tender cut of beef, sliced very thinly, then sauteed very quickly in butter.

Sour cream is of course required. :)

I make a VERY nice Stroganoff Meatloaf...it's fantastic and I'll have to dig out the recipe.

Harry you were probably to young to remember Uncle Maury AKA little Mo the Georgian hit man's method.
Potatoes, they have to be hung in a net in a dark warm place till they look manky.The starch turns to sugar so when the are fried the sugar on the surface makes the fries very crisp and sauce proof.

Strog, dust pieces of good steak in seasoned flour. Sweat mandolin sliced onions till opaque, remove from the pan, fry sliced mushrooms till dry,remove from pan.
Clean the pan and add a dash of oil, sear the meat quickly, add the onions,mushrooms and sour cream. The cream should take a minute to thicken with the heat and flour to the consistency of an omelette.

The crispy fries texture to the soft creamy strog.

morning bro'
you mean uncle mo' who boxed his way across europe with a travelling circus to get to the uk? nope,i don't remember that.....but i do remember watching him smoking a big fat cigar & eating a plate of lox washed down with a glass of scotch for breakfast...he lived to 92.....now that's a diet:LOL:!

morning bro'
you mean uncle mo' who boxed his way across europe with a travelling circus to get to the uk? nope,i don't remember that.....but i do remember watching him smoking a big fat cigar & eating a plate of lox washed down with a glass of scotch for breakfast...he lived to 92.....now that's a diet:LOL:!
Nearly right H, Mo bought tickets to America and spent his first 10 yrs in London looking for the bugger who had cheated him.
If Mo had learned to write Strog would have been his signature dish.

Ps the new pull start for the mower was only £15, she fired first pull........a bit like ....ok I'll get my coat.

PPS do you remember Eddie the Grass?

Nearly right H, Mo bought tickets to America and spent his first 10 yrs in London looking for the bugger who had cheated him.
If Mo had learned to write Strog would have been his signature dish.

Ps the new pull start for the mower was only £15, she fired first pull........a bit like ....ok I'll get my coat.

PPS do you remember Eddie the Grass?
touch & go eh? it's an age thing...............
eddie the grass? wasn't he mum & dads last gardener:LOL:?
yep,i do remember eddie.i also vaguely remember dad going to london on business & taking us to visit mo in his factory in the east end.ended up in a smoke filled room with a lot a very large gentlemen in wide lapel pin stripe suits,uncle m was sending them out on their,umm,"collection rounds";)!

keep it simple,quick & with fries as the russians do:i use shoestring oven fries,they take 15 mins in the oven which is how long it takes to prep & cook the stroganoff so no probs with timings

The guy is really funny, first of all russians would never use the potatos he used. Never ever seen them. Second of all russians are more likely to use dill rather than parsly, though parsly is very common, third of all, beef strogonoff doesn't mean quick or was it fast, whaever the word he used. It mean beef chips, as in wood chips. Something that was cut fast, thin and small.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom