Help - Beef Stroganoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Wikipedia article: Beef Stroganoff makes interesting reading.

No tomato sauce for, absolutely not, I can see adding a spoon of Hot Russian mustard. As far as onion or shalots, it's all the same to me, I hate both, so I like to cut it as small as possible and cook it long so by the time I'm done I couldn't see thhem in my plate.
If you can get the best cut of meat at the resonable price that is the way to go, but for my family (7) plus price of kosher meat it is never reasonable, so I usualy end up with some cheap cut.

No tomato sauce for, absolutely not, I can see adding a spoon of Hot Russian mustard. As far as onion or shalots, it's all the same to me, I hate both, so I like to cut it as small as possible and cook it long so by the time I'm done I couldn't see thhem in my plate.
If you can get the best cut of meat at the resonable price that is the way to go, but for my family (7) plus price of kosher meat it is never reasonable, so I usualy end up with some cheap cut.
Just curious Charlie, what do you do for the sour cream to keep it kosher?

Beef Stroganoff may have started out as a Russian recipe but it is now popular over most of the world with many variations, so IMO there is no longer any single correct recipe for this dish. About all we can say for sure is that it requires beef, requires sour cream, and is usually served over something (noodles, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice...). Anything after that is IMO regional and individual preferences.

I love this one

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds eye of round steak, cut into strips
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 envelope onion soup mix
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
  • 1-1/4 cups milk
  • 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
  • Hot cooked rice or noodles
Directions

• In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef in oil until no longer pink. Stir in soup mix, potato soup, milk and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve over ice or noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 each) equals 236 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 963 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein.

Hi amy. Welcome to DC.

If this is a Stroganov recipe, there should be sour cream.

By all means, add some sour cream if you like. The creamy potato soup replaces the sour cream for this recipe. If it's not an official stroganov recipe then I guess it can be an imitation stroganov because it tastes just like it. I often add beef broth if I want the sauce a little thinner. I'm sure sour cream will give the same creamy result but just more of it :)

The mouth feel of creamy potato soup is very little like that of sour cream, even if you ignore the fact that sour cream tastes sour and potato soup doesn't.

However there is no official or standard Beef Stroganoff recipe. Anybody is free to do their own interpretation of this or any other recipe, and the only really important thing is that they and their guests enjoy whatever was served.

Actually mixture of cream and potato soup sound interesting for me, becasue of kashrut issues. I may have to try it. Of course first i would have to learn how to make potato soup.:LOL:

I don't use tomato when I make beef stroganoff. I do, however, use sour cream. I also only use homemade beef stock. It isn't something I make often, but in the winter, it tended to be one of my "go to" recipes when I used to get a side of beef every fall. Charlie--potato soup is easy to make, I'm surprised you don't have a recipe for it since you make so many interesting dishes!

The mouth feel of creamy potato soup is very little like that of sour cream, even if you ignore the fact that sour cream tastes sour and potato soup doesn't.

However there is no official or standard Beef Stroganoff recipe. Anybody is free to do their own interpretation of this or any other recipe, and the only really important thing is that they and their guests enjoy whatever was served.

Actually mixture of cream and potato soup sound interesting for me, becasue of kashrut issues. I may have to try it. Of course first i would have to learn how to make potato soup.:LOL:

Sounds like a chowder to me.:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
the french have been making it for ever - vichyssoise - traditionally served chilled.
@greg:guess you could substitute the cream with sour cream?
@charlie:there ya go & ditto
@chief:it does doesn't it:yum:?
i still wouldn't put it anywhere near a stroganoff,but,at least,we can all now debate whether THIS recipe is authentic:LOL:.....lovin' it:wacko::ROFLMAO:!
BBC - Food - Recipes : Vichyssoise soup

Last edited:
I don't use tomato when I make beef stroganoff. I do, however, use sour cream. I also only use homemade beef stock. It isn't something I make often, but in the winter, it tended to be one of my "go to" recipes when I used to get a side of beef every fall. Charlie--potato soup is easy to make, I'm surprised you don't have a recipe for it since you make so many interesting dishes!

Potato soup is very American, I am not big on pureed soups. Though I should really make it becasue my wife likes it.

There's no need for the OP to comment on his/her topic as long as everybody who participates is enjoying the discussion. Perhaps the OP got the answer they were looking for.

What I gather is nobody posting believes there is an original recipe.:ohmy:

Clearly, this dish is not a 'single point of origin' type recipe. However, prior to modern times with the advent of canned soups, the recipe had a basic list of ingredients most agreed to: tender beef, sour cream, onion, mushrooms. Seasonings vary beyond the foundation ingredients.

So, at least in my mind, those four ingredients are necessary for a dish to be considered beef stroganov.

What I gather is nobody posting believes there is an original recipe.:ohmy:

Probably more to the point, there was an original recipe but nobody now knows what it was because it has been lost in history.

I think the article in Wikipedia is interesting and is worth reading, but of course Wikipedia is not an authoritative source.

I have reserved a book mentioned in the Wikipedia article's footnote:

Joyce Toomre, ed., Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' A Gift to Young Housewives, 1992; first edition of Molokhovets was 1861; the 1912 recipe mentioned be Toomre is in Alekandrova-Ignat'eva

I'm sure it will be interesting and their Beef Stroganoff recipe is probably as authentic as anybody else's.

Back
Top Bottom