HELP!! Cake pan question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I just got my first fluted cake pan. YUP hard to believe huh? LOL :LOL: I want to try out a new pound cake recipe. ONLY thing is the pan is a 9.5 inch and the recipe calls for a 10 inch.

Is there extra head room in the pan? OR will it run over? Should I only fill it 3/4 full like the cupcake rule of thumb?

I don't think pound cakes rise as much as cupcakes as the ingredients in pound cakes are heavy and the egghite isn't whipped in or has chemical leaveners. I think 9.5 should be ok I would just leave a few cm at the top. I don't think it will need that much rising room

Thank you for the reply

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. I'm wondering...did it work??? Or was it a mess?

Just saw this thread. I'm wondering...did it work??? Or was it a mess?
Technically, it is really complicated re: changing pan size and getting the cooking time right. I asked the Ph.D. to explain it to me--it was way too complicated for my wee brain. Maybe someone else can simplify it.

I have a pinched sciatic nerve and it is a real PITA!! All the way down to my toes. So I am waiting till today hopefully my one of my DD's can help out with the fetching and putting in the oven. Bending, reaching and twisting is not fun.

I will let you know here and/or in the What did you bake ... thread when/if it gets done soon.

msmofet,

When I do my pound cake ,I always take a
cup of batter and bake it in a small pan to keep
my large fluted pan from over flowing. Works like
a charm
:flowers::flowers:I am sorry you are having back pain I personally
know what a PITA it is. Hope it gets better soon.

Josie

I just got my first fluted cake pan. YUP hard to believe huh? LOL :LOL: I want to try out a new pound cake recipe. ONLY thing is the pan is a 9.5 inch and the recipe calls for a 10 inch.

Is there extra head room in the pan? OR will it run over? Should I only fill it 3/4 full like the cupcake rule of thumb?
Why not try it out with 80% of the recipe / formula?
And put the other 20% in a loaf pan.

Last edited:
Josie1945 said:
msmofet,

When I do my pound cake ,I always take a
cup of batter and bake it in a small pan to keep
my large fluted pan from over flowing. Works like
a charm
:flowers::flowers:I am sorry you are having back pain I personally
know what a PITA it is. Hope it gets better soon.

Josie

That is a great idea Josie. That would be like having a tester cake for the baker! ;)
Hope you back stops acting up Msmofet.

Ms M, you shouldn't have any problems, but I really like Josie and Bill's ideas of doing some of the batter separately. This will help stop overflow, and with a new recipe give you a chance to check it out.

Like I said in another thread, I really feel for you with your back problem. Rest as much as you can. :flowers:

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. The back is feeling just a bit better so hopefully it will be better soon.

OK so here is the finished product.

Chocolate pound cake – I used all the batter and just put a cookie sheet under it just in case. It rose above the top of the pan but didn’t overflow the side OR the center hole.

img_1180550_0_62bb2c426a334373afdf1e8d0a92dda3.jpg

img_1180550_1_4a78ac6e1ee8fa7c1d38bdce49f78e35.jpg

msmofet said:
Thank you everyone for the well wishes. The back is feeling just a bit better so hopefully it will be better soon.

OK so here is the finished product.

Chocolate pound cake – I used all the batter and just put a cookie sheet under it just in case. It rose above the top of the pan but didn’t overflow the side OR the center hole.

Beautiful! Glad you feel better too!

I had sciatica issues about 10 years ago. I was in agony for 6+ weeks. I went to a Dr who was licensed to do acupuncture. I had to pay for the treatment, but within 10 minutes of having the needles put in, I could feel the difference. It hasn't bothered me since. I would highly recommend considering going to an acupuncturist for this. A friend suffered from the same issue and was treated for 6 months using conventional methods. She also was pain-free after 1 treatment by the acupuncturist. The worst case scenario is that you'd be out the cost for the treatment. Best case scenario would be the pain would be gone. It is a very painful condition--I couldn't drive, sit for more than 20 minutes, sleep. It was awful. I was skeptical, but a friend convinced me to give the acupuncturist a try. I'm glad she pushed me to give it a try.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom