"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My dad was a picky eater. He "HATED" onions... so Grandma (and later Mom, of course) would put a whole onion in the soup, poked through with a knife to release the flavor, and then take the onion out when the soup was done. Mom would chop the onions for stew, etc, so tiny that they were never discernible in the finished dish... and of course, she never cooked liver (which he loved!) with onions!

You just have to be a creative cook, and don't feel sorry for your husband for "having to eat" the same old dry sandwich every day. That's his choice!

BTW, Marinara sauce isn't supposed to be chunky! that's another type of tomato sauce!

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
My Mother had the cure for picky eaters. When I was a kid and we did not want to try something she had made she would make us wait until the next time she cooked. Needless to say she only did this one time. By the next meal we would have eaten horse if placed in front of us.

Good Luck,

Bryan Knox
What if the the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?
bknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #13
Head Chef
Maybe he can fix the meals.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #14
Executive Chef
I've learned the hard way not to be too complacent with picky eaters. Dont tip toe around your meals to please everyone because it wont happen.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
Master Chef
Your husband is a meat and potato man...there are a lot of those around here. In fact, my dad was one. He carried the same balogna sandwich on plain white bread in his bucket every day. He said it didn't really matter what he ate...everything tasted like coal dust anyway.
My ex claimed he hated onions and garlic...didn't want any in his spaghetti or chili. I noticed, however, that he ate the spaghetti at the local Italian club, and it was full of of both. The vegetables were just chopped very fine and cooked down into the sauce. So I learned to do the same.
I also found that granulated garlic and onion powder will give you the flavor you want without creating "bits" in the dish.

My first husband was Cajun, so he would eat just about anything. But my next two had mothers who fixed very plain food. For those of you old enough to remember, 50's food was pretty bland anyway.
I taught both of them to enjoy a lot of vegetables they'd never tried/liked before, just by fixing them for myself.
What's wonderful for Kim and me is that he enjoys cooking as much as I do, so this is something we do together. His mother would never believe that one of his signature dishes would be brussels sprouts.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #16
Executive Chef
at a certain age my mom quit giving in to my childish food whims. I could eat what was cooked or not.

I also know a person who only eats sandwichs regardless of what's cooked by his wife. Well, it's killing him.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #17
Master Chef
if my jake was picky, i'd tour him through my kitchen & give him pans, few utensils, & say, get to work!
he has picky whims, & he cooks for himself those days. if he doesn't appreciaate my meals, well.....
lunchmeat's an option for him while my steak is another.
for me.
cereal is lovely for those who want to disappreciate.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:19 AM   #18
Sous Chef
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking "well, can't HE cook?!" or something similar. But, let's say you're the logical person to cook. In that case, how about him planning the menus and you doing the execution (maybe an unfortunate choice of words ...)? My hubby's also very picky so I sympathize, but you can create Frankensteins indulging them too much. Insist that sometimes you get your way and if he doesn't like it, he can cook a couple himself a couple of eggs (although I warn you, setting this sort of example for kids may be something you'll later regret. I do.)
XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #19
Master Chef
If my dad didn't like what Mom cooked (like tuna casserole), he got out the peanut butter and jelly and made himself a couple of sandwiches.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote