Help extremely picky husband, need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacquelinejoel

Assistant Cook
I need help in finding some recipes and lunch ideas to accomidate my husband. He doesn't like almost all sauces except alfredo, marinara (can't be chunky), bbq sauce and teryaki sauce. He doesn't even eat mayo or any thing, everything is dry. Finding recipes is about impossible, since I would have to omit about everything. He only eats corn and green beans for vegetables, not even lettuce. All the recipes I seem to find have all most all onion or pepper or some veggie he would never touch. I need to cook healthier for him I just don't know how. I feel bad that he has to eat the same dry sandwich, yogurt and crackers for lunch everyday at work for the last few years. Any ideas would be sooo much appriciated.:wacko:

I'm pretty picky as well - although not THAT bad :) So, maybe he likes the same 'dry sandwiches' that he eats every day. If he's picky and that's what he likes, that's what he likes. Ask him if he'd like something different and if the answer is yes, maybe he can offer up some suggestions. Pulled pork BBQ sandwiches are yummy - maybe put the pork mixture in a tupperware container and he can add it to a warmed kaiser roll at work - that way it won't get soggy. Stir fried green beans and beef in a teriyaki sauce over rice. It's kind of difficult to cook without onions. Try mincing them up really fine before sauteeing them - I don't think he'll even notice :)

:ROFLMAO: I'm with CharlieD!!!! My son-in-law was bad (but not as bad as your hubby with pickiness) 8 years ago when we first met him (before he married our youngest) and now he has become more open to try new foods. If your hubby "won't" try new things than let him eat the same old stuff while you enjoy what you want. Eventually, he will get curious and try some of what you are having. Just don't deprive yourself!!!! Marriage is compromise in all things; those that don't or won't don't know what they are missing!!!

Here's a thought - what has his doctor said about his lack of vegetable intake? Perhaps that would be a good shove in the right direction.

Other than that, have you ever considered making a marinara sauce that you've cooked many veggies into (and then put them into the food processor till they are smooth)? :cool:

As for onions, does he not like the flavor, or is it because he gets stomach issues afterward?

Does he like eggs? Perhaps a lunch of a couple of hard-boiled eggs might be a nice change.

As to the mayo question - does he hate it, even when it's disguised?

Don't worry - we'll come up with some good ideas for you!:chef:

I know, he's pretty extreme in pickiness. As far as veggies, I always cook veggies with dinner, we just eat a lot of green beans and corn and potato's. If he has any inkling of an idea that there is onions or anything else in something he wouldn't touch it. He's not rude about it or anything. There are certain things that he won't eat together, like green beans and beef in teryaki sauce on rice. I think that sounds great but, lets just say he didn't even eat pizza until he was in highschool because he "new" he wouldn't like the sauce.
Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't feel bad about him eating the same ol dry sandwich, it is his choice.

I would make what you want to make, and if hes doesn't want to eat it, oh well. Force him to expand his palate. It can be a loooong life together if you are constantly having to cater to only his needs. I had the same problem with my finance when we first started dating, 5 years ago. Now she will eat anything or at least try it.

It can be hard living with a "challenged" eater. My husband hasn't eaten any red meat or red meat products in 35 years. Not ANY. So we eat vegetarian, poultry, & seafood, but even then he doesn't care much for certain fish like Bluefish or Mackerel. He also doesn't like onions or celery.

I cater to him as much as I can, but only to a point. I LIKE onions & celery, & lets face it, there are very few recipes that don't call for some onion. What I do is buy sweet onion varieties, chop them small, & cook them down. If they're not cooked down enough & he picks them out, so be it. I really don't care. I do the same thing with celery.

Your husband, however, sounds a lot worse than mine. Mine is very good about eating pretty much all vegetables, & with his "no red meat" edict, we probably eat a lot healthier than a lot of people. And he has absolutely no problem if I feel like having a steak or lamb or something. He just cooks for himself. He's really very accomodating.

If I were you, I'd just start cooking what "I" wanted to eat, & hope that my husband grew up from the "little boy" he obviously is & at least start wanting to try different things. It really is juvenile to not even want to try different vegetables - I mean, he's not going to die - lol!!!!

When my brother & I were growing up, my parents were very adventurous cooks. While they never forced us to finish anything we didn't like, we absolutely HAD to taste something before we decided we didn't like it. That was non-negotiable. It was a strict rule that "you can't just decide you don't like something without tasting it". We both grew up enjoying pretty much everything the planet has to offer, thanks to my parents.

I have to agree with Tattrat - cook the healthy foods that YOU want to eat. If he doesn't, he can pick thru & eat what he wants or cook for himself. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense.

When my brother & I were growing up, my parents were very adventurous cooks. While they never forced us to finish anything we didn't like, we absolutely HAD to taste something before we decided we didn't like it. That was non-negotiable. It was a strict rule that "you can't just decide you don't like something without tasting it". We both grew up enjoying pretty much everything the planet has to offer, thanks to my parents.
This is what my parents did and I am so grateful! We always had to take "two polite bites" of anything on our plates before deciding we didn't like it, so I grew up trying and liking almost everything. I will still try things I think I don't like (though if it's one of the two or three things I really hate I may wait seven years before I try it again, LOL). I was born and raised in San Francisco and my parents started taking my sister and me out to eat at restaurants (Chinese, French, Italian, etc.) from a very early age. My parents were also fairly health-conscious so I was fed mostly fresh things rather than a lot of stuff out of cans.

I have encouraged my husband to try things since I met him and he is now almost as adventurous as I am when it comes to food. But I know plenty of men who unfortunately wouldn't be as open to changing their ways as my husband has been.

My dad was a picky eater. He "HATED" onions... so Grandma (and later Mom, of course) would put a whole onion in the soup, poked through with a knife to release the flavor, and then take the onion out when the soup was done. Mom would chop the onions for stew, etc, so tiny that they were never discernible in the finished dish... and of course, she never cooked liver (which he loved!) with onions!

You just have to be a creative cook, and don't feel sorry for your husband for "having to eat" the same old dry sandwich every day. That's his choice!

BTW, Marinara sauce isn't supposed to be chunky! that's another type of tomato sauce! :)

My Mother had the cure for picky eaters. When I was a kid and we did not want to try something she had made she would make us wait until the next time she cooked. Needless to say she only did this one time. By the next meal we would have eaten horse if placed in front of us.

Good Luck,
Bryan

I've learned the hard way not to be too complacent with picky eaters. Dont tip toe around your meals to please everyone because it wont happen.

Your husband is a meat and potato man...there are a lot of those around here. In fact, my dad was one. He carried the same balogna sandwich on plain white bread in his bucket every day. He said it didn't really matter what he ate...everything tasted like coal dust anyway.
My ex claimed he hated onions and garlic...didn't want any in his spaghetti or chili. I noticed, however, that he ate the spaghetti at the local Italian club, and it was full of of both. The vegetables were just chopped very fine and cooked down into the sauce. So I learned to do the same.
I also found that granulated garlic and onion powder will give you the flavor you want without creating "bits" in the dish.

My first husband was Cajun, so he would eat just about anything. But my next two had mothers who fixed very plain food. For those of you old enough to remember, 50's food was pretty bland anyway.
I taught both of them to enjoy a lot of vegetables they'd never tried/liked before, just by fixing them for myself.
What's wonderful for Kim and me is that he enjoys cooking as much as I do, so this is something we do together. His mother would never believe that one of his signature dishes would be brussels sprouts.

at a certain age my mom quit giving in to my childish food whims. I could eat what was cooked or not.

I also know a person who only eats sandwichs regardless of what's cooked by his wife. Well, it's killing him.

if my jake was picky, i'd tour him through my kitchen & give him pans, few utensils, & say, get to work!
he has picky whims, & he cooks for himself those days. if he doesn't appreciaate my meals, well.....
lunchmeat's an option for him while my steak is another.
for me.
cereal is lovely for those who want to disappreciate.

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking "well, can't HE cook?!" or something similar. But, let's say you're the logical person to cook. In that case, how about him planning the menus and you doing the execution (maybe an unfortunate choice of words ...)? My hubby's also very picky so I sympathize, but you can create Frankensteins indulging them too much. Insist that sometimes you get your way and if he doesn't like it, he can cook a couple himself a couple of eggs (although I warn you, setting this sort of example for kids may be something you'll later regret. I do.)

If my dad didn't like what Mom cooked (like tuna casserole), he got out the peanut butter and jelly and made himself a couple of sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom