Help! Eye of round?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, I had that backward.

No you didn't. Oxygen does cause meat to turn brown after it makes it turn red.

When freshly slaughtered meat is cut into steaks, the muscle tissue comes into contact with oxygen in the air. The myoglobin in the meat binds this oxygen, forming oxymyoglobin and giving the meat a red color. However, if fresh meat sits for a period of time, generally over the course of several days, the structure of the myoglobin changes. The iron molecule in the middle is oxidized from its ferrous to ferric form and a different complex is formed called metmyoglobin. This compound turns the raw meat a brown color. The meat is usually still safe to eat when cooked, but the brown, unappealing color turns off most consumers. To avoid having your fresh meat turn brown, use it as soon as possible after purchasing it.</SPAN>
Oxidized Meats: What is it and how to prevent it?

Meat Color | Meat Science

The Color of Meat and Poultry

My parents are in a care center. Sometimes we bring them a home cooked meal. Mom wants a steak dinner. Medium and not tough, also corn on the cob, and a baked potato.
My sister bought the food and I'm cooking it. The package says "Beef round eye of round".
The only good thing about eye of round is its bargain price. However, a flavorless, tough cut of meat is no bargain in the end.

Here's my advice for the next time your mom asks for a steak dinner: don't let your sister buy the meat. Be a hero and buy her a REAL steak. ;)

Last edited:
The only good thing about eye of round is its bargain price. However, a flavorless, tough cut of meat is no bargain in the end.

Here's my advice for the next time your mom asks for a steak dinner: don't let your sister buy the meat. Be a hero and buy her a REAL steak. ;)
You hit the nail on the head.

Two 1/2 lb rib steak will cost about as much as 3 lbs of eye of round.
Two 1/2 lb filets mignons will cost about as much as 4 lbs of eye of round. I would only make those filets 6 oz each.

Thanks everybody. I actually just went back to the store and got Rib eye for my parents.
My sis took the round home. I'll have to ask her what she did with it. :)

Thanks everybody. I actually just went back to the store and got Rib eye for my parents.

veddy good move. that's called having a stake in the steak.

Can't go wrong with ribeye! Now THAT'S steak!

RB, I would never pass on information I wasn't sure was correct and hadn't done first hand. Jes sayin..

He got that correct.:) Every beef roast I have used this method on, ends with the same results!:yum:

He got that correct.:) Every beef roast I have used this method on, ends with the same results!:yum:

I used your instructions myself on a rib roast a month or so ago and was very impressed with the result. It was perfect. Exactly as i wanted it with little fuss.
I will use this method from now on.

Back
Top Bottom