"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
I'd be doing a breakfast Strata. Throw it together the night before, pop it in the oven and just reheat. My company always loves these and it leaves me free to enjoy them at breakfast time. Here's the base:

Basic Strata Base
12 slices bread, cubed
1 pound cheddar cheese, shredded (or half Swiss Cheese or whatever cheese you may have on hand.)
4 cups milk
8 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons minced onion
cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter
Basic Strata Base:

In buttered 9x13-inch pan, spread bread, then cheese. Beat milk, eggs, dry mustard, onion and seasonings. Pour over cheese. Dot with butter, refrigerate overnight Bake one hour at 350 degrees F.

To this I often add whatever I have on hand be it tomato slices/onions/ham whatever. It's good without any variations, but I like to let my imagination go wild when preparing them.

Justabite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Pigs in a blanket!

keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Healthy Egg UnMcMuffins

whole wheat English muffin
1/4 cup egg whites or egg beaters (and salt & pepper)
1 slice of Canadian bacon
1 slice cheese

Toast English muffin.

Cook egg whites/egg beaters. Set aside on paper towel. Season with S&P.

Assemble. English muffin bottom, egg, cheese, Canadian bacon, English muffin top.

Wrap in paper towel.

Nuke when ready to eat for 20-30 seconds.
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
Master Chef
How about a frittata or two? All you need are one or two dozen eggs & some cheese & veggies. They cook up fast, can be made ahead & reheated, can be cut in a number of wedges/slices, & are just as good at room temp as they are hot.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Two six egg fritattas, cooked in a 10-inch cast iron skillet, will feed 12 people easily. Reference my traditional fritatta recipe with potato, pancetta, onion, garlic, bell pepper and cheese, somehwere else on this board. Cut into six wedges, one piece is dense enough to fill up any hungry adult. Teenagers, well that's a different story!
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #16
Master Chef
Sounds like most food groups are already covered ... Egg casserole, Bacon, Cinnamon rolls and Juice.

I'm with jpmcgrew - with easy, inexpensive, and different from what is already on the menu ... a fruit salad. Cube up a honeydew melon, a cantelope, some watermelon, and toss in some seedless red grapes. Of course - you can make all kinds of fruit salads ... I was just thinking of what might be the least expensive and the easiest.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Definitely fruit salad, and perhaps some bagels and cream cheese.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #18
Head Chef
How about a big tray of assorted sweet rolls bought from your local bakery # dozen should cover it well and have some left over for mid morning coffee break
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
Fruit salad sounds easy, besides the assortment of cubed fruit we make a dip of 1 part cream cheese 1 can marshmellow mix to go with it. It is so good together! To feed 10-12 people I would do two things of cream cheese and the large jar of marshmellow mix...Biscuits and gravy is delicious too!!

lpb is offline   Reply With Quote