HELP - fried chicken burns quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on what you are frying Addie. Potatoes are fairly flavorless and will pick up a slight peanutty flavor. With stronger flavors, like fried chicken, I don't think you would notice.

Depends on what you are frying Addie. Potatoes are fairly flavorless and will pick up a slight peanutty flavor. With stronger flavors, like fried chicken, I don't think you would notice.

Thanks. I think I will pick up a bottle next time I go shopping. Will let you know. Fortunately, I am not allergic to nuts of any kind. Just the two legged ones. :ermm:

Thanks. I think I will pick up a bottle next time I go shopping. Will let you know. Fortunately, I am not allergic to nuts of any kind. Just the two legged ones. :ermm:

Gee, and I thought you liked me...:wacko: xoxoxoxoxo

Question??? Does peanut oil leave a peanut taste on the product being fried? I have never bought it, but have considered it. :chef:

Peanut oil made in the USA are highly filtered and therefore pretty tasteless. Asian peanut oils have a distinct peanut aroma and taste. I use Asian peanut oil for stirfrys.

Personally, I wouldn't use breadcrumbs in chicken frying. IMHO they aren't good for long periods of frying like is necessary for chicken. I would stick with seasoned flour, or just seasoning.....

I deep fry with peanut oil and have never found it to add any flavor to what I am cooking.

What is wrong with Chinese food? (Other than maybe you don't like it.)

I'm not a big peanut oil user but I've never noticed any peanut taste or aroma.

Last edited:
What is wrong with Chinese food? (Other than maybe you don't like it.)

I'm not a big peanut oil user but I've never noticed any peanut taste or aroma.

Ninety-nine percent of Chinese food is fried. And more women than men who are brought to the ER for gall bladder attacks recently ate Chinese food. No thanks, don't care to go through that event again. I developed sepsis in my gall bladder and blood system. Don't have to tell me twice. :ohmy:

Deep fried, pan fried and stir fried are all drastically different concepts. My average stir fry uses only 1-2 T. of oil. Furthermore Asian stir fries often feature huge amounts of vegetables, far more than in Western diets.

I think you should avoid deep fried foods (US-Southern, US-fast food) and pan fried foods (US-Southern, and ... um). You can't equate stir fries with deep fries... Well you can, that's your freedom of opinion.

I presume you avoid all oils when cooking foods.

I'm enthusiastic about Asian foods and about Mediterranean cooking because I think they're both more healthful than our usual American fare.

I don't eat that much fried food, particularly deep fried or pan fried foods. I don't eat a lot of cholesterol laden foods and my cholesterol tests come back within reasonable bounds.

You know I'm an Asian cuisine enthusiast but my enthusiasm does not involve proselytizing others to my preferences. I don't understand how you can cook much in any cuisine without at least some oils and some frying. Asian recipes heavily tend towards stir fries. I avoid the deep fries for the most part. (Okay I cook tempura a couple times a year.)

Perhaps you can describe what you don't like about frying in terms of fried chicken (but realize that I myself usually cook oven "fried" chicken replica recipes that try to duplicate deep or pan frying but without the heavy oil)..

Perhaps you're preaching to the choir.

Last edited:
Again, until you have had a gall bladder attack, then you don't have any idea why someone would be averse to causing another by eating any foods that can cause it. Your favored Asian cuisines are NOT cooked in your kitchen and the Asian restaurants are just as likely to use the same cheap, unhealthy oils that every other place uses.

Do tell us about which oils these are. Currently I use olive oil and occasionally canola oil, very rarely peanut oil. Most of the Asian cuisine I eat comes from my own kitchen. Admittedly I'm not very traditional in my recipes. I mostly use olive oil for stir fries. I mostly use canola for deep or pan frying, as in the topic. I'm telling this to you in advance so I can be ambushed. (Oh I use sesame oil too, occasionally, for flavor.)

Deep fried, pan fried and stir fried are all drastically different concepts. My average stir fry uses only 1-2 T. of oil. Furthermore Asian stir fries often feature huge amounts of vegetables, far more than in Western diets.

I think you should avoid deep fried foods (US-Southern, US-fast food) and pan fried foods (US-Southern, and ... um). You can't equate stir fries with deep fries... Well you can, that's your freedom of opinion.

I presume you avoid all oils when cooking foods.

I'm enthusiastic about Asian foods and about Mediterranean cooking because I think they're both more healthful than our usual American fare.

There is also a huge misunderstanding/misconception on fried foods. There certainly ARE better/more health conscience ways to prepare things, but when it is done right, fried food shouldn't be greasy, and the caloric increase comes more from the breading, than for the addition of oil.

Ninety-nine percent of Chinese food is fried. And more women than men who are brought to the ER for gall bladder attacks recently ate Chinese food. No thanks, don't care to go through that event again. I developed sepsis in my gall bladder and blood system. Don't have to tell me twice. :ohmy:

I would say there is some truth to this, but as for 99% being fried, that is 90% wrong.

I am sorry for your heath issues.

I would say there is some truth to this, but as for 99% being fried, that is 90% wrong.

I am sorry for your heath issues.

Whenever I have ordered Chincese food from an open kitchen, I see them dump in the oil, then the food into a wok. I stopped ordering egg rolls years ago because of all the grease in the roll part. I also stopped ordering the fried rice for the same reason. Can you name me one dish that is placed in an oven for finishing? That isn't cooked in a wok?

A number of years back when the food police were out in full force, they named Chinese food as one of the worst foods for grease and being the unhealthiest for us. Like many others, I thought all those veggies would be good for you. But not when their only pan in the kitchen is a wok of different sizes. :ohmy:

Whenever I have ordered Chincese food from an open kitchen, I see them dump in the oil, then the food into a wok. I stopped ordering egg rolls years ago because of all the grease in the roll part. I also stopped ordering the fried rice for the same reason. Can you name me one dish that is placed in an oven for finishing? That isn't cooked in a wok?

A number of years back when the food police were out in full force, they named Chinese food as one of the worst foods for grease and being the unhealthiest for us. Like many others, I thought all those veggies would be good for you. But not when their only pan in the kitchen is a wok of different sizes. :ohmy:

lol, it's Chinese food. Of course they are going to use a Wok. As for egg rolls, I agree. and it helps to know that they are rolled hundreds at a time, fried, and then stored, allowing them to just act like sponges, soaking up grease.

There are plenty of healthy options:

Steamed dumplings, leek and Chicken dim Sum, chicken satay, Steam salt and pepper shrimp, most of the soups, Chicken and Broccoli, curry Chicken, Any "white coral" style dish, Shredded Pork with String beans, Pepper steak, beef and broccoli/mixed vegetables, Most all of the moo Shi(as you assemble it your self and can personally control it). . . .these are just things that I go for.

most of the Chinese restaurants in my area also off many of the dishes that are fried, as grilled or steamed.

The idea of a wok, and proper stir frying is also one of the healthier ways to cook. It should(when done properly) require very little oil, a ripping hot wok, and fast cooking with a lot of movement. Nothing every really sits in pools of oil, when done properly. I am not understanding your correlation between woks, and unhealthy/oily. A Wok is a tool, not a health risk.

Last edited:
Not to be repetitive - Flour and Oil Types

I always deep fry in chickpea flour as it does not permit the oil to enter the element being fried. It works wonderfully with fish too.

If you are burning, it is because of the type of oil that is being employed and / or flame too high or it is too hot and the chicken too cold.

Hope this aids in making great fried chicken.

Thanx for post.
M.C.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom