HELP - fried chicken burns quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I think I will pick up a bottle next time I go shopping. Will let you know. Fortunately, I am not allergic to nuts of any kind. Just the two legged ones. :ermm:

IMHO I think that grapeseed oil is ideal for any deepfry application, it is flavorless and has a very high smoke point. I always have a bottle in the cupboard and although I don't deepfry often, it is great for everyday use.

Two thumbs up.:)

Thanks everyone, i think the burning was because of the corn meal/bread crumbs mixed in with the flower.

You know DC will always beat a topic to death--because we all love to discuss cooking--you know like in the site name--so if anybody asks a question and there's 100 replies then there's bound to be one that has the correct answer. :)

Question is, which one? ;)

Last edited:
for frying anything, i use corn FLOUR --- it produces a superior crust. i fry ONLY in 100% peanut oil. if heated to the proper temperature (usually about 370 is when i add food, which lowers it to about 350-360 for frying) the sear is so quick and hot that the food is not greasy at all. i just finished a batch of 4 dozen eggrolls deep fried in peanut oil and did not have to add ANY oil at all. drained well and stored in the freezer, i reheat in the toaster oven to bake. they are super crisp and crunchy with no greasiness at all.

when making chicken or scallops, i might make a mixture of duke's mayonnaise (a much better blended egg, basically) thinned with a little milk or cream. i would dip the scallops/chicken in corn flour, then the mayo/milk, then the flour again and into the hot peanut oil. it's a no-fail formula for goodness, even with leftovers (which is really hard to do with fried food of any kind).

the peanut oil has a much higher flash point and can take the very high heat needed to make the sear and keep the food from absorbing grease. the corn flour makes a huge difference. corn meal is too coarse and grainy and burns easily, and wheat flour is too gummy. the coating is very thin, crisp and the meats seared so still juicy and tender (easy to overcook small things in a hot fryer).

hope this helps ...

It's an interesting suggestion to use mayonnaise as the interface between the food being cooked and the breading medium. I'll be interested in exploring this concept.

the thinned mayonnaise acts as a very fine, uniform egg coating (must be real mayo to work) --- the milk or cream should be just enough for the wetness to run off, leaving minimal coating. you can test with a spoon.

this combination with corn flour creates a very light, crisp but perfect seal to keep the chicken/fish totally away from the oil.

i'd be interested to know what you think.

I'd be interested in how a mixture of honey and mustard would perform in frying (to hold on the breading). I sometimes use that in oven "fried" chicken recipes.

I'd be interested in how a mixture of honey and mustard would perform in frying (to hold on the breading). I sometimes use that in oven "fried" chicken recipes.

there are no adhesion properties to either.

The reason mayo works, is because of the egg. Just like during war time, when fresh eggs where scarce, and hard to come by, Mayonnaise cakes became the "thing", mayo is eggs and oil, and to be honest, some of the most moist cakes I have ever had the pleasure of trying(when putting Mayo as a mystery ingredient in pastry chefs mystery box) were because of the mayo.

Mustard, and honey have no adhesion, you would end up with a bunch of (pretty tasty) batter flakes, all fried up golden, while your bird would be more naked than breaded.

there are no adhesion properties to either.
Maybe not in oil but try dipping your chicken pieces in a honey and mustard mixture, then Shake 'n Bake, then into the oven per package directions. It tastes pretty good and is a nice change from "stock" Shake 'n Bake chicken. I'm pretty sure I got the idea off one of their packages somewhere. Not that Shake 'n Bake is exactly haute cuisine. :)

I wonder what would happen if you mixed honey and mustard into your egg or mayonnaise then fried it...

Maybe not in oil but try dipping your chicken pieces in a honey and mustard mixture, then Shake 'n Bake, then into the oven per package directions. It tastes pretty good and is a nice change from "stock" Shake 'n Bake chicken. I'm pretty sure I got the idea off one of their packages somewhere. Not that Shake 'n Bake is exactly haute cuisine. :)

I wonder what would happen if you mixed honey and mustard into your egg or mayonnaise then fried it...

Well, you never made mention of shaking and baking, that would certainly have a better chance of making it. Baking is a far less 'violent", in terms of blowing off your coating, compared to frying.

Why not just marinate the chicken in a honey, mustard style of marinade? A honey mustard brine, with garlic, some smoked paprika(to round it out), a little something citrus-y to cut it? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

Honey, is glucose, it would burn before your chicken was cooked.Mustard, burns pretty darn quick too(though I have no molecular science behind it, it just does). I mean, certainly no harm in trying, so whatever blows up your skirt.

Fried chicken CAN be "Haute Cuisine" Though, we won awards to prove it, lol. use to do a Sweet Tea marinated, buttermilk fried chicken, and won quite a few Golden Fork Awards back in the 757, also, Mango Curry Fried Chicken. . .but the breading for that was more like a Korean Style(Think Bon Chon) Style coating, and the key was all about the marinade, and Sous Vide before ever seeing a fryer.

Last edited:
Well, you never made mention of shaking and baking, that would certainly have a better chance of making it. Baking is a far less 'violent", in terms of blowing off your coating, compared to frying.

Why not just marinate the chicken in a honey, mustard style of marinade? A honey mustard brine, with garlic, some smoked paprika(to round it out), a little something citrus-y to cut it? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

Honey, is glucose, it would burn before your chicken was cooked.Mustard, burns pretty darn quick too(though I have no molecular science behind it, it just does). I mean, certainly no harm in trying, so whatever blows up your skirt.

Fried chicken CAN be "Haute Cuisine" Though, we won awards to prove it, lol. use to do a Sweet Tea marinated, buttermilk fried chicken, and won quite a few Golden Fork Awards back in the 757, also, Mango Curry Fried Chicken. . .but the breading for that was more like a Korean Style(Think Bon Chon) Style coating, and the key was all about the marinade, and Sous Vide before ever seeing a fryer.

I cook a whole gamut of things for dinner. Sometimes I'll spend 2 hours preparing a dinner and other times like tonight it was straight out of the supermarket frozen food section into my microwave and then onto my table.Some days I'm lazy or sick. Other days I feel inspired. Shake 'n Bake is near the freezing point on my gourmet thermometer, but I have to eat every day. I mean I guess... :) I never tried not eating...

The Mango Curry Fried Chicken sounds good. :)

ETA:

I had to laugh. I Googled it (Curry Fried Chicken recipes). Bobby Flay has a recipe for that but you have to inhale deeply to get the title out all in one breath: Cast Iron Skillet Curry Fried Chicken with Curry and Mango-Yogurt Sauce and Red Chile Asparagus ... probably not the type of recipe you had in mind. Definitely not the sort of recipe I'd cook on a day when I'm lazy or sick...

Last edited:
This is easy, your oil is definitely too hot. I suggest you touch your pan with a small part of the chicken to see if its warm. It doesn't have to be boiling hot. I normally add a little bit of water to the pan when i have all my chicken in. Close with the lid and leave for a few minutes before turning it. Then i add a little water again just to steam it through.

Hope this helps :)

This is easy, your oil is definitely too hot. I suggest you touch your pan with a small part of the chicken to see if its warm. It doesn't have to be boiling hot. I normally add a little bit of water to the pan when i have all my chicken in. Close with the lid and leave for a few minutes before turning it. Then i add a little water again just to steam it through.

Hope this helps :)

I'm sorry, are you saying you are adding in water, to your fried chicken? Like REAL Fried Chicken, not sauteing, but Frying in a couple inches of HOT oil?

Adding water to that is a recipe for disaster, and a good way to start a fire.

There isn't any place for water in fried chicken. If you add water it becomes steamed chicken. Steamed chicken is not fried chicken, and steaming destroys the crispy coating that we all strive for in fried chicken.

Best solution for any fried chicken doneness problem: fry it in oil then finish it off in the oven.

Last edited:
Adding a little water seems to work for me. Then i know my chicken is not underdone on the inside and still get a crispy coating when its done. Anyway, was just trying to help

Adding a little water seems to work for me. Then i know my chicken is not underdone on the inside and still get a crispy coating when its done. Anyway, was just trying to help

Sometimes a response to a posting comes across as being attacked. It is certainly not meant to be. I can't think of anyhone here who is a member who is deliberately unkind to another member. Believe me, I too have made that mistake. Your contribution is definitely appreciated.

Anyway, welcome to DC. It is always good to have another member. And another answer to a question. There is never a single solution to a problem. :chef:

I like to start frying my chicken in the cast iron frying pan with either canola or peanut oil, till all side crisp up and then place chicken on a baking sheet and finish in the oven.
Reason why is I am at the frying pan for a short time and while it is finishing in the oven I can get everything else ready. It comes out great everytime as if I stood at the stove frying it.

I'm sorry, are you saying you are adding in water, to your fried chicken? Like REAL Fried Chicken, not sauteing, but Frying in a couple inches of HOT oil?

Adding water to that is a recipe for disaster, and a good way to start a fire.

Yes, you were just trying to help. So was TATTRAT. He was pointing out that frying chicken in a couple of inches of hot oil, which is what we were discussing, is dangerous. We wouldn't want someone to read your post and add water to inches of hot oil and start an explosive fire.

Thank you Tax Lady. Your opinion is well noted. Have a awesome day further :)

Back
Top Bottom