"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Well, you never made mention of shaking and baking, that would certainly have a better chance of making it. Baking is a far less 'violent", in terms of blowing off your coating, compared to frying.

Why not just marinate the chicken in a honey, mustard style of marinade? A honey mustard brine, with garlic, some smoked paprika(to round it out), a little something citrus-y to cut it? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

Honey, is glucose, it would burn before your chicken was cooked.Mustard, burns pretty darn quick too(though I have no molecular science behind it, it just does). I mean, certainly no harm in trying, so whatever blows up your skirt.

Fried chicken CAN be "Haute Cuisine" Though, we won awards to prove it, lol. use to do a Sweet Tea marinated, buttermilk fried chicken, and won quite a few Golden Fork Awards back in the 757, also, Mango Curry Fried Chicken. . .but the breading for that was more like a Korean Style(Think Bon Chon) Style coating, and the key was all about the marinade, and Sous Vide before ever seeing a fryer.
I cook a whole gamut of things for dinner. Sometimes I'll spend 2 hours preparing a dinner and other times like tonight it was straight out of the supermarket frozen food section into my microwave and then onto my table.Some days I'm lazy or sick. Other days I feel inspired. Shake 'n Bake is near the freezing point on my gourmet thermometer, but I have to eat every day. I mean I guess... I never tried not eating...

The Mango Curry Fried Chicken sounds good.

ETA:

I had to laugh. I Googled it (Curry Fried Chicken recipes). Bobby Flay has a recipe for that but you have to inhale deeply to get the title out all in one breath: Cast Iron Skillet Curry Fried Chicken with Curry and Mango-Yogurt Sauce and Red Chile Asparagus ... probably not the type of recipe you had in mind. Definitely not the sort of recipe I'd cook on a day when I'm lazy or sick...

Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #52
Assistant Cook

This is easy, your oil is definitely too hot. I suggest you touch your pan with a small part of the chicken to see if its warm. It doesn't have to be boiling hot. I normally add a little bit of water to the pan when i have all my chicken in. Close with the lid and leave for a few minutes before turning it. Then i add a little water again just to steam it through.

Hope this helps :-)

Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #53
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameez View Post
This is easy, your oil is definitely too hot. I suggest you touch your pan with a small part of the chicken to see if its warm. It doesn't have to be boiling hot. I normally add a little bit of water to the pan when i have all my chicken in. Close with the lid and leave for a few minutes before turning it. Then i add a little water again just to steam it through.

Hope this helps :-)
I'm sorry, are you saying you are adding in water, to your fried chicken? Like REAL Fried Chicken, not sauteing, but Frying in a couple inches of HOT oil?

Adding water to that is a recipe for disaster, and a good way to start a fire.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #54
Executive Chef

There isn't any place for water in fried chicken. If you add water it becomes steamed chicken. Steamed chicken is not fried chicken, and steaming destroys the crispy coating that we all strive for in fried chicken.

Best solution for any fried chicken doneness problem: fry it in oil then finish it off in the oven.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

Adding a little water seems to work for me. Then i know my chicken is not underdone on the inside and still get a crispy coating when its done. Anyway, was just trying to help
Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Adding a little water seems to work for me. Then i know my chicken is not underdone on the inside and still get a crispy coating when its done. Anyway, was just trying to help
Sometimes a response to a posting comes across as being attacked. It is certainly not meant to be. I can't think of anyhone here who is a member who is deliberately unkind to another member. Believe me, I too have made that mistake. Your contribution is definitely appreciated.

Anyway, welcome to DC. It is always good to have another member. And another answer to a question. There is never a single solution to a problem.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #57
Assistant Cook

Thanx Addie :-)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #58
Head Chef

I like to start frying my chicken in the cast iron frying pan with either canola or peanut oil, till all side crisp up and then place chicken on a baking sheet and finish in the oven.
Reason why is I am at the frying pan for a short time and while it is finishing in the oven I can get everything else ready. It comes out great everytime as if I stood at the stove frying it.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I'm sorry, are you saying you are adding in water, to your fried chicken? Like REAL Fried Chicken, not sauteing, but Frying in a couple inches of HOT oil?

Adding water to that is a recipe for disaster, and a good way to start a fire.
Quote:
Yes, you were just trying to help. So was TATTRAT. He was pointing out that frying chicken in a couple of inches of hot oil, which is what we were discussing, is dangerous. We wouldn't want someone to read your post and add water to inches of hot oil and start an explosive fire.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #60
Assistant Cook

Thank you Tax Lady. Your opinion is well noted. Have a awesome day further :-)

Tags
chicken