Help! Fruit Pizza Recipe needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesmama

Assistant Cook
:chef: I recently had a fruit pizza at a Mothers Day Tea. The problem is that I didn’t get the complete recipe. It was sooooo good and I really want to make it.

The crust is made with a cake mix and ground nuts of some kind.

Does anybody know what I am talking about? All I can find when I do a search, are recipes made with sugar cookie dough.

Thanks for any help.

Joe’s Mama:-p

Hold on and I'm sure someone will come up with an idea for you. There are a 100 helpful people here.

I looked at this and have been scratching my head about a couple of things.

A sugar cookie crust is kind of "traditional" for a quick and easy recipe. A sugar, flour, ground nut (usually almond or hazelnut), and butter mix is also kind of traditional for some torte crusts.

What throws me is the cake mix - since it generally would not provide a crisp solid structure due to the levening agents in it - it seems, in my mind, that it would be too "fluffy".

joesmama - can you describe the texture of the crust, how thick it was, etc?

I know this isn't what you're after but I thought I would throw it out there.

Get a nice and thin pizza base (none of this deep pan rubbish). Drizzle it with olive oil. Scatter some halved seedless grapes (green/red, or both) over. Scatter over some roughly chopped fresh rosemary leaves and some pine nuts. Then dot some nice crumbly salted ricotta over it all.

Cook until the base is done. Pull it out, crack a generous amount of black pepper over it and drizzle it with extra-virgin olive oil. Delicious.

You could also swap the grapes for figs, and the rosemary for basil.

Last edited:
This is the recipe I've always used for Fruit Pizza:

FRUIT PIZZA
Crust: ½ cup butter 3/4 cup sugar 1 ½ cups flour
1tsp. cream of tartar 1tsp.baking soda 1tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. salt 1 egg

Preheat oven to 400. Spray pizza pan with cooking spray.
Mix egg, butter, sugar well. Add vanilla, flour, salt, baking soda and cream tartar and mix well. Spread onto pizza pan, and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool on pan.

Topping: 8 oz. cream cheese ¼ cup honey 2T Triple Sec
Zest of 1 orange

Beat together well. Spread over cooled crust.

Glaze:
1/3 cups peach or apricot preserves 3T Triple Sec 2 cups preserves
c
Melt over low heat - Strain.

Arrange assorted fruit in decorative pattern. If using banana, dip in orange juice to prevent browning.
cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

I do seem to remember a recipe in one of the 'Cake Mix Doctor' cookbooks for a FP made with a cake mix variation.

This is the best Fruit pizza:chef:
INGREDIENTS

1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened

1 cup confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed

1 cup fresh strawberries, halved

1 cup seedless red grapes

1 cup fresh blueberries

2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced

1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained

1 cup sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1 cup orange juice

1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice

SERVINGS 20

CATEGORY Dessert

METHOD Baked

PREP 30 min.

COOK 10 min.

TOTAL 40 min.

DIRECTIONS

Pat cookie dough onto the bottom of an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over the crust. Arrange fruit on top.
In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and pineapple juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool; drizzle over fruit. Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 20 servings.

I've also seen a pie crust (used flat rather than in a pie pan) or puff pastry used as a base. Bake first, then apply the creamy topping, then the sliced fruit. Mint makes a nice garnish.

I have the same recipe as Chef Tony except for the whipped topping. I skip the oranges b/c they tend to get juice all over if not drained enough. It's always a hit!

Put the boxed cake mix into a bowl with 1 cup of ground pecans, add melted butter till a consistency of sand. Pat this into a pizza pan and bake for about 10 minutes, or till browned.
Combine 8 ozs of mascarpone cheese with 4 oz of whole milk ricotta cheese, the zest of one lemon and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. (don't use imitation, it's bitter!). Spread this over the cooled crust.
The fruit is up to you, whatever you prefer. Consider grilling peaches and plums....then drizzle some warmed honey over it.

Back
Top Bottom