"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlienb
...does anyone know how else to transfer the pizza, without using a paddle?...
You could use a rimless cookie sheet or the bottom of a rimmed cookie sheet to deliver the pizza to the stone for cooking. When it's done, it's a lot easier to remove it. You can get under it with a couple of large spatulas to slide it onto a tray or even use tongs.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #22
Master Chef

My best pizzas come from the covered kettle barbecue and a cast iron frying pan. The coals are hot, about 600 degrees. The frying pan gets very hot, very quickly. I get a touch of smoke from the carcoal and mayby a touch of wood chips. The crust gets good hivht and is crispy on the bottom. I get a touch of the wood smoke flavor, but not too much. Of course, the grill is covered with all vents wide open. I don't need as much thermal mass as the cast iron is kept very hot by the intense fire underneath it. And it only takes about ten to fifteen minutes to cook.

But you need a very good heatproof mit to handle the hot pan. Just make sure to quickly remove the pizza from the pan when it's done, to prevent scorching the crust.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

i get my oven VERY hot i cant put it straight on to oven rack it would fall through so i must be doing somthing wrong thanx for all the help
Old 08-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #24
Cook

thanks for the advice, andy m!
Old 08-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

im going to get a stone cheers
Old 08-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I find that no matter how you cook your pizza the #1 problem stems from overloading the pizza. Use 1/3 the sauce that you might think you need and go light on the cheese. Just try that to prove to yourself that it makes a big difference. The next pizza's you can make a bit heavier now that we know the results. To get hardy topped pizzas crisp we need extreme high heat.. 550 to 800 degrees. That can even be achieved with a good gas grill and or the use of a HOT stone that will suck the moistier out of the crust on contact. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! Some poeple even go to the extent to overide the self cleaning lock on electric ranges and enjoy 800 degree ovens... now were cookin!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #27
Head Chef

This is a great thread. I have a pizza stone but I haven't used it in years because I have problems getting the dough to slide onto the stone without sticking or creating a gigantic mess. And the stone is piping hot so its hard to fool around with sliding your dough onto it.
I'm giong to have to dig it out and try it again!
Old 08-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #28
Executive Chef

This works. Cook the dough without the toppings for the first 10 minutes. Remove pizza and add the toppings. Make sure you dock the dough before placing in the oven or it will puff up like a big pita. If you don't have a docker. Use a fork.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots
This is a great thread. I have a pizza stone but I haven't used it in years because I have problems getting the dough to slide onto the stone without sticking or creating a gigantic mess. And the stone is piping hot so its hard to fool around with sliding your dough onto it.
I'm going to have to dig it out and try it again!

If you dust the pizza peel with some cornmeal, the pizza will slide onto the stone better. Build the pizza on the peel with the cornmeal and just before putting it onto the stone, shake the peel back and forth gently to ensure the pizza is not stuck to it.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlienb
btw, this is a great thread, i'm learning a lot! thanks! i HAVE one of those pizza stones...unfortunately i've used it only once because i didn't get one of those needed paddles to transfer my prepared pizza to the preheated stone. does anyone know how else to transfer the pizza, without using a paddle?
Pampered Chef makes a product just for that purpose. It's called "Lift & Serve". It's a 2-pc thing that you slide under the pizza to transfer it. It costs $17.50.

No, I am not a Pampered Chef Consultant - just a satisfied customer.