"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 08-13-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Help getting pizza crust crispy

ive started making my own pizza istead of ordering them in the only fault is i cant get to middle of the base to crispen ive tryed a tray with holes and a solid tray can someone help please cheers

jaspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Cook
Do you have a baking stone? This really helps to make wonderful pizza crusts. Either way, make sure that the oven is preheated sufficiently.

flukx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
havent got a stone but oven is already hot
jaspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Get yourself a stone and use that. Its really the only way I have found to crisp up that crust.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Do you sprinkle your pan with cornmeal? I find that really helps.
DaCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Welcome, Jaspa! I do mine on the barbeque, always nice and crispy. For some unknown reason, I gave up on my pizza stone years ago.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up cornmeal on the pan

What a good idea! One of my favovite pizza parlors does that, but I have nerver thought about doing it at home.
DesertRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Master Chef
One problem might be the thickness of your crust .... really crispy crust pizza (crispy like a cracker) is very thin.

If you don't want to invest in a stone (which can help crisp up even thicker crusts) ... try skipping the pans and place the pizza directly on the oven rack (in the middle position) - this will help eleminate the steam that is building up under the crust - which keeps it softer.

I don't think corn meal will have anything to do with the crispness of the crust ... it is, as far as I understand it, used as a dry lubricant (like little ball bearings) to keep the dough from sticking to a peel, stone, or counter top.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
Just driving by - don't ever waste money on a pizza stone - get unglazed quarry tiles, they're a fraction of the price. And jaspa by hot she means don't throw the pizza in when it goes beep beep, leave it at 500 for a while. There's a whole bunch of things you could do including par cooking the crust before adding toppings. We'll get you crispy!

If all else fails I've got a particularly forgetful cook I can lend you. It'll be black as coal when he's done with it, but it'll be crispy.
ChefScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
Master Chef
ok, I have to chime in here---pizzas in Kazakhstan( where I live most of the time) suck big time---lots of greasy cheese, very little toppings, no or a little sucky sauce, AND $$$$$$$$$$, ad nauseum--as a result I've had to learn to make my own pizzas, or perfect the gag reflex----what's worked for me is to use pizza pans with holes in them (yes, the stone is better---I've done that as well) but it's too much weight for my suitcases to transport one over there. Preheat your oven at around 400 degrees and place the pizza pan on the BOTTOM rack for about 12-18 minutes--maybe longer depending on your oven . WATCH IT!!! When the cheese starts to get browned on top (not smoky burnt) it's time to take it out. It will be in the oven at least 12 minutes however. Mine is crispy using this method. And when reheating pizza and you want it crispy, do NOT microwave it---either heat it on a hot pizza stone or use a heated pizza pan preheated to 375 or 400 and watch it--maybe 5 minutes max.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote