"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Cook

Help! How do I do this without a bamboo steamer?

Hey everybody! I want to try this recipe:

Steamed Lemon Custard with Raspberries

but I don't have a bamboo steamer. I do have a rice steamer machine (I THINK I still have it.....), or of course, a pot of water.

Anybody know how I can do this without the bamboo steamer?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
digigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Do you have a round wire cake rack? If you have one big enough, use that, as it should fit perfectly at some level. The trick is going to be whether or not it sits high enough above the water level. You may have to add water at some point during the cooking process. Also, leave the lid askew, so you don't trap the steam.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Put about 2-3 inches of water in a large pot, and invert a large bowl, placing it at the bottom of the pot (this bowl needs to be able to stand up to high temp.). On top of the bowl, place a large dinner plate (same temp. requirements as the bowl) or a round, flat surface (inserts of spring-form cake pans work well). Bring your water to a boil, then reduce to a light simmer. Place the food item to be steamed on top of the plate/flat surface making sure that it is carefully balanced. Cover and steam until done.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Cook

Thank you! I'm going to be trying it tonight, so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks a bunch for the help, everybody!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
digigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
Put about 2-3 inches of water in a large pot, and invert a large bowl, placing it at the bottom of the pot (this bowl needs to be able to stand up to high temp.). On top of the bowl, place a large dinner plate (same temp. requirements as the bowl) or a round, flat surface (inserts of spring-form cake pans work well). Bring your water to a boil, then reduce to a light simmer. Place the food item to be steamed on top of the plate/flat surface making sure that it is carefully balanced. Cover and steam until done.
thanks for the tip! I may use it sometime !