"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
Proud American

The stem of this is very stringy. Always cut the stem as close to possible to the base of it.

I do not understand this peel it and cook it. I do not mean to be rude, but no. With the stem you must cut very close to the leaves. Then you put off the tough leaves of the close bottom of the stem and if there is room for it, cut the stem much closer.

Your friend,
~Cat

Old 10-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
The ones I have tried to eat have been very fibrous, wonder if it is due to the age of the artichoke?
When you buy your artichokes make sure the globe is closed tightly at the top. Old ones will start to open. Be suspicious of those that are too cheap. they are most likely old and need to be sold quickly. And you need to peel the stem with a veggie peeler. Those fibers are on the outside. The inside is very tender and has lots of flavor.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Hi Addie, thank you - it is only the stem I have found fibrous but I read they were the best bit. I just didn't understand how the artichoke stems I had tried are so stringy and fibrous, I always cut them off. I wondered if those really tiny baby ones had a stem that could be eaten. I've since googled and even those seem to have it cut off too.

I really love them so maybe I should buy a couple before they are out of season in the U.K. Do they ever go out of season in the U.S.A.? I would imagine that as you are such a big country they are always in season somewhere.

That is one of the things I really like about D.C. I have learned so much about your vast country from you all.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

When they are not growing here, we import them. We import food from all over the world. You do have to cut off the stems if you want them to sit flat in the pot while you are steaming or boiling them. Peel them with a peeler, then if they are thick, cut them in half or even quarters and toss them in the pot with the 'chokes. Even the baby ones have a stem. A small one.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
The stem of this is very stringy. Always cut the stem as close to possible to the base of it.

I do not understand this peel it and cook it. I do not mean to be rude, but no. With the stem you must cut very close to the leaves. Then you put off the tough leaves of the close bottom of the stem and if there is room for it, cut the stem much closer.

Your friend,
~Cat
Been eating them for 30 years.

Not stringy. Very tender and yummy like the heart ... Because its attached to the heart! You just need to trim it and peel it.

Because its tender you also don't need to cook it for long.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When you buy your artichokes make sure the globe is closed tightly at the top. Old ones will start to open. Be suspicious of those that are too cheap. they are most likely old and need to be sold quickly. And you need to peel the stem with a veggie peeler. Those fibers are on the outside. The inside is very tender and has lots of flavor.
Good advice, Addie.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Good advice, Addie.
Yes, she is right!

I am going to try peeling the stem the next time I cook these. I did not think of this.

Your friend,
~Cat

Tags
cook, how to