HELP!! I am stuck with cooking two turkeys!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CornishTiger

Assistant Cook
I really hope you clever cooks can help me. I have got 2 turkeys to cook as we are feeding 17 and I am totally lost as to how long to give them.
One bird is 14lbs and the other is 7lbs. This was before I stuffed them and covered them in butter and bacon.
I have to cook them in the same oven as its the only one I have and I am conused as to how long to add for the weight but how much to deduct because they are 2 birds.
Like I said HELP!! Please.

A general rule.

APPROXIMATE COOKING TIMES

UNSTUFFED

* 4 to 6 lb breast.....1 1/2 to 2 1/4 hrs
* 6 to 8 lb breast...2 1/4 to 3 1/4 hrs
* 8 to 12 lbs................2 3/4 to 3 hrs
* 12 to 14 lbs..............3 to 3 3/4 hrs
* 14 to 18 lbs........3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hrs
* 18 to 20 lbs........4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hrs
* 20 to 24 lbs..............4 1/2 to 5 hrs

STUFFED

* 8 to 12 lbs...............3 to 3 1/2 hrs
* 12 to 14 lbs..............3 1/2 to 4 hrs
* 14 to 18 lbs..............4 to 4 1/4 hrs
* 18 to 20 lbs........4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hrs
* 20 to 24 lbs........4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hrs

The temperature must reach 180 °F in the thigh of a whole turkey (center of the stuffing should reach 165 °F) before removing it from the oven. Cook a turkey breast to 170 °F.

Source. http://southernfood.about.com/library/info/bltrkeya.htm

I really hope you clever cooks can help me. I have got 2 turkeys to cook as we are feeding 17 and I am totally lost as to how long to give them.
One bird is 14lbs and the other is 7lbs. This was before I stuffed them and covered them in butter and bacon.
I have to cook them in the same oven as its the only one I have and I am conused as to how long to add for the weight but how much to deduct because they are 2 birds.
Like I said HELP!! Please.

Lefty gave you the cooking times, but what occured to me is you didn't prestuff these birds to cook tomorrow, did you?

I have just stuffed them now? Did I mess up?

Then you need to cook them now. It isn't safe to prestuff them.

It should be okay though. Just roast them now and remove the stuffing. Moisten the turkey slices and the stuffing with additional broth before reheating tomorrow.

If you cook your turkey to 180 in the breast, you're gonna have one hell of a dry bird on your hands.

I take mine out at 160-165. Carryover will finish bringing it up to temperature.

for some reason, this just reminded me of an old joke.
a guy goes to a doctor complaining that he can't sleep. he says "doc, i keep dreaming of wigwams and teepees, wigwams and teepees."

the doc responds, "i think i understand your problem. you're too tense" :)

ok, back to turkeys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom