Help! I don't know what I'm doing in the kitchen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcald2000

Assistant Cook
I'm a 35 year old man, who sadly, doesn't know how to cook. I eat out for almost every meal and my idea of cooking is boiling water for pasta and brewing coffee in the morning. My general thoughts about getting started are to hit the ground running; start cooking some basic recipes and hopefully learn some very basic techniques in the process. I do actually own a range (oven w/ cooktop), assorted pots and pans, and a bunch of knives including a couple of 8 inch chef's knives (one of which is 8" Global G2). I had intended to learn how to cook two years ago but used my career as an excuse not to start trying my hand at cooking. Below is a snapshot of the type of foods that I routinely buy outside my household. My motivation for learning how to cook is lowering my food expenses (eating out in New York is obviously expensive) and to impressive someone that I just started dating. All advice and suggestions are appreciated. I apologize because I'm sure I've posted this in the wrong forum on this site but I'm sure I'll learn my way around shortly. - Rob

breakfast: ham, egg & fresh mozzarella cheese sandwich ($2.95) on a roll OR a bagel ($1.50).

lunch: salad with grilled chicken, chopped tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinaigrette dressing ($6.50) OR chicken parm ($6.80).

dinner: chicken burrito with black beans, tomatoes, cheese, rice and guacamole ($5.92).

I do actually own a range (oven w/ cooktop), assorted pots and pans, and a bunch of knives including a couple of 8 inch chef's knives (one of which is 8" Global G2).My motivation for learning how to cook is lowering my food expenses (eating out in New York is obviously expensive) and to impressive someone that I just started dating.

Really, your having a range, pots and pans and superb set of knives is already a great asset to your learning the joys of cooking.

My advice for what it's worth, is always set out the ingredients according to the recipe at hand. That way, you won't get so confused. And clear as you go.

Even the simplest of recipes will help encourage you. Like, for exaple, a lovely omelette made from the freshest of eggs, a simple green salad and some nice juicy red tomatoes sliced up. And a glass of wine.

Don't be afraid of making mistakes. Like, cremating a steak. :LOL: Easily done when the phone rings. Most of the time you'll learn by trial and error. But surely, isn't that the joy of learning to cook?

If I was to recommend a book, try Nigel Slater's Real Food. It's a joy to read, inspiring, too. :)

Edited to add,

Perfect a chosen recipe, get good at it, then invite your loved one round. I'm sure she'll be impressed with your cooking.

Last edited:
Linux, thanks for your suggestions. I've just ordered the book from Amazon; thanks for that recommendation as well. I'll follow your advice and won't be afraid of making mistakes. It's interesting that you say that, because fear of failure is my biggest drawback. I'm very excited about trying this.

- Rob

Linux, thanks for your suggestions. I've just ordered the book from Amazon; thanks for that recommendation as well. I'll follow your advice and won't be afraid of making mistakes. It's interesting that you say that, because fear of failure is my biggest drawback. I'm very excited about trying this.

- Rob

If it's any consolation, I get to fail on some dishes, especially when working under pressure in a steaming hot kitchen with covers stacking up - and the air conditioning has just packed up. :rolleyes: It's tough, but we learn to cope by having to accept that we'll never be perfect, but at least try our 100% best and try again.

And again. Because you do anything providing you give up the belief you can't do it.

I recommend you a spanking good website that sells out-of-print books.

AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, New & Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books

I managed to buy, dirt cheap, a pristine copy of The Renaissance Of Italian Cooking, by Lorenza D'Medici - the first edition. The book is a revaltion of classical Italian cuisine of the highest order. And surprisingly, easy to navigate and a joy to cook from.

Find the spices that you like and then try small recipes with different amounts of spices to show how much the difference is until you have an idea what each spice adds. Then experiment and have some fun:)

OK.. eggs, while a perfectly cooked egg is almost an art form. Cooking an over-easy egg is not rocket science.

You said you like a ham and egg sandwich with Mozzarella.

Ok, we're going to keep this simple. Pick up a small ham steak, a carton of large eggs and some fresh mozzarella cheese(shredded works but fresh is amazing).
Get a skillet hot, not screaming hot, when the ham hits the skillet it sizzles a little. Let it brown a few minutes on each side. You are really just warming it as it is already cooked. When lightly browned on each side, turn the heat down under the skillet to medium, add a small amount of butter(say a teaspoon). When that melts, should be fast, crack your egg and gently break it into the skillet. While that is cooking gently take your spatula and run under the edges to to keep it loose from the skillet. When the whites are white all the way around(the top will still have clear egg in a thin layer). lean the skillet to one side, take you spatula and gently roll the egg over. Leave for about 30 seconds then remove.
place the ham on the toast,(or bagel, etc) place the egg on top then top with a thin layer of mozzarella. Salt and Pepper to taste.

If you want a hard fried egg.. just cook it longer.

Salads are easy. Start with bagged salad as a base. If you want grilled chicken and don't want to grill it. You can buy pre-grilled chicken in packages. If you have a grill... fire that baby up take chicken breast(no bones), lay on a medium grill and cook. Do not over cook. You really should have a meat thermometer. Remember when you remove meat from the heat, let it set. It will finish cooking(temp inside will go up, plan on it). Do NOT slice until it has set for at least 10 minutes or it will be dry.

Buritos are easy. to start with, look at the grocery, they will probably have a chicken fajita kit ready to cook. Get a little oil hot in the skillet, start with the meat, get it well started then add the veggies. For the black beans..open a can of black beans and heat them up.
Guacamole.. look up a recipe online. follow it, it isn't hard to make good guac!. The rice.. rice can be tricky. I would start with a quick flavored rice then move into long cook.

In my opinion, the only way to learn is to jump in and do it.

- Rob

If you don't fail from time to time you are not challenging yourself.

Seriously though, I like "Jaqes Pepin's techniques" book.
and one called"Cooking at home" he did with Julia Child.
Any good culinary college textbook will teach you more than most home cooks know. I like one called "On Cooking"

You will have to cook to learn to cook.Even the best books are still just unapplied knowledge.Just get in there and do it.

The wine helps with failures too.

Welcome back to Discuss Cooking, Rob. I see that your earliest post with nearly the same title was in Feb. of 2008. I read from those posts that you were on the way then, what happened? Was there a reason why you didn't continue cooking? As with anything else, cooking takes practice. I think one of the best things about learning how to cook today is the vast collection of cooking videos.
Youtube has thousands of them, and most people learn better by being shown how to cook, although cookbooks are wonderful.

All of us are only too happy to help you Rob, but you have to "get into that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans" You're much too young to know that song. ;)

Start simple. Get a couple of boxes of Rice-A-Roni or similar boxed/bagged dishes you can make. Read the directions all the way through first so you know for instance that you will need your measuring cup ready to add hot water.

Take about 1/3 of a kielbasa and slice in the 1/4" rounds. Brown lightly while the RAR is simmering.

Add the kielbasa when the RAR is done. Spanish Rice-A-Roni or Oriental styles work well here.

By preparing simple boxed dishes, you will start to develop some confidence and that is what will eventually lead you to cooking on your own.

Don't give up because of mistakes:

Get used to the idea that you WILL make mistakes. It goes with the learning process. Transforming written instructions into reality is not easy, and if you didn't make all those mistakes, you wouldn't learn how to cook. The mistakes are where you learn what works and what doesn't.

PS to Kayelle: I love that song.

Last edited:
I found that there are lots of cook books out there for the beginner. Look for one that not only has recipes but also has instructions for the different techniques used. I wish I could remember the title of the book I got as a newlywed. It had pictures and instructions for braising, grilling, dredging, etc. The book would show a specific technique while walking you through a basic recipe step by step using that technique. Then there were many different recipes on the following pages that used the same technique. I want to say it was either Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens. I gave it to my son when he moved out on his own to help him learn to cook. He knew some things from working at a restaurant and watching me at home but having to do it yourself is different. Being able to understand what the recipe means makes it easier to follow too.

I can highly recommend the Betty Crocker cookbook. Back in 1964 I knew nothing. This cookbook was there for me. I made my first Thanksgiving dinner using it's recipes, and the turkey came out right, as did the stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. The recipes are delicious and are easy to follow.

I can highly recommend the Betty Crocker cookbook. Back in 1964 I knew nothing. This cookbook was there for me. I made my first Thanksgiving dinner using it's recipes, and the turkey came out right, as did the stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. The recipes are delicious and are easy to follow.

Amazing Zhirara...you and I were both making our first Thanksgiving Dinner from the same book in the same year!!

here's where we both heard about "rattling those pots and pans"..........

YouTube - Bill Haley - Shake, Rattle and Roll

Find the spices that you like and then try small recipes with different amounts of spices to show how much the difference is until you have an idea what each spice adds. Then experiment and have some fun:)

Do you recommend that I buy one of those spice racks? The only spices that I have are: salt, seasoning salt, pepper, cinnamon, basil, coriander, cumin and garlic powder. If so, any particular brand I should pick up. Excuse the silly question. I think I saw one at Bed Bath Beyond for $40, but that seemed kind of pricey to me.

Welcome back to Discuss Cooking, Rob. I see that your earliest post with nearly the same title was in Feb. of 2008. I read from those posts that you were on the way then, what happened? Was there a reason why you didn't continue cooking? As with anything else, cooking takes practice. I think one of the best things about learning how to cook today is the vast collection of cooking videos.
Youtube has thousands of them, and most people learn better by being shown how to cook, although cookbooks are wonderful.

All of us are only too happy to help you Rob, but you have to "get into that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans" You're much too young to know that song. ;)

Good question. I think that I got discouraged early on. I tried cooking a series of things a few times and they were failures. For example...

Johnnycakes Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I tried this recipe last night for Johnnycakes, which is pancakes with cornmeal instead of flour. They tasted horrible, but that is perhaps because I had the cornmeal for one year past the date on the package. I also tried scrambled eggs, which I half way burnt. However my second attempt was much much better. I just need to develop some confidence with cooking and not become so disheartened with setbacks. Thanks man.

Do you recommend that I buy one of those spice racks? The only spices that I have are: salt, seasoning salt, pepper, cinnamon, basil, coriander, cumin and garlic powder. If so, any particular brand I should pick up. Excuse the silly question. I think I saw one at Bed Bath Beyond for $40, but that seemed kind of pricey to me.

Buying one will give you a jumping off point to try different flavors, but just know that you may not like all of them so some might go to waste. Also, who knows how long they've been on the shelf & most lose their flavors over time. You actually have my favorites there, though I prefer fresh for the basil and garlic. I Highly recommend keeping some fresh garlic around. It keeps for a long time in the fridge and makes such a difference! (Garlic powder can be handy too, don't get me wrong.) Unfortunately herbs and spices can be expensive, but they last quite a while because most of the time you only use a pinch or two. If you don't want to fork out the $40 all at once, look for a recipe that uses some you already have (cumin and coriander for example, or basil and garlic) that also has one or two new herbs or spices. Buy those. If you like them, experiment with them a little, and when you're ready, do the same with those as your base herbs & spices. Btw, in my opinion dried parsley and cilantro are entirely useless, always use fresh. Most other spices can be substituted either way, just know that it will change the amounts you need to add and the end flavor some, but if fresh basil and garlic taste good together, so will dried. I've recently started buying tubes or jars of minced herbs in the produce section. They're not quite the same as fresh, but they keep a lot longer so I can always have some on hand and just buy the real thing when I'm planning something special.
I know this is rather lengthy, but one last thing: Complicated does not mean better. Sometimes a little garlic, fresh diced tomato, oregano, maybe some capers and a pinch of salt, sauteed, tossed with pasta and topped with fresh mozzarella and parmesan impresses far more than a sauce that had a list of ingredients the length of your arm and more steps than a ballroom competition. Keep it fresh, keep it simple, and try out risky dishes on family and close friends. They don't need to be impressed & will be honest about your results. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom