"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-01-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

HELP ! I need 5 star recipes

I recently lost my business after 35 years . I am thinking of opening a small restaurant with my son and am looking for some really good recipes for same . I don't care what kind of food it is , it just has to be something that you or your family really like . You know , one of those old family recipes that no one ever tires of . I have developed what I consider a couple of really world class , to die for recipes at this point , but I have to admit this is tough stuff . At this point nothing has been written in stone , so I am open to any recipe or any ideas that any one might have . Looking forward to some creative responses . Thanks in advance . The Reaper !

Old 10-01-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
sorry about the loss reaper. but i have an awesome chicken dish i make with rice a roni if you're interested.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Midie , I sure am interested . Post it when you can . Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Reaper, here are some that have gone around my family several times. I hope this helps some!

Shrimp Creole

1C. chopped onion
1C. chopped green bell pepper
1/3C. margarine
1 28ounce can tomatoes-drained, reserve liquid
1teaspoon salt
1Tablespoon cornstarch
1teaspoon file powder(optional)
1 1/2C. (8ounce) cleaned shrimp(I use the frozen salad shrimp)
1/4teaspoon pepper
Hot cooked rice

Saute onion & pepper in margarine. Stir in tomatoes, shrimp, & seasonings. combine cornstach with reserved tomato liquid ; add to tomato-shrimp mixture. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve over hot rice.

Easy Chicken Bake

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2C. milk
1C. instant rice, uncooked
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 fryer chicken, cut up

Combine soups & milk ; stir until well blended. Sprinkle rice in a well greased 9x13 baking dish/pan. Arrange chicken pieces on top of rice. Pour soup mixture over chicken & rice, making sure all pieces of chicken are covered & that all rice is moistened. Sprinkle dry soup mix over chicken. Cover with foil & seal tightly. Bake at 325 deg. for 1 1/2 to 2 hours , or until chicken is done and rice is tender.

Easy Beef Stew

1 lb.stewing beef
1/2C. flour
1teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon pepper
3Tablespoons cooking oil
1 1/2C. water
2 onions, sliced & separated
3 potatoes, cubed
3 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced

Cut meat into bite-sized pieces. In paper sack, combine flour, salt, & pepper ; put pieces of meat in sack, a handful at a time, and shake to coat. Reserve flour. Brown meat in oil until browned on all sides. Add water, cover and cook over low heat until tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Add vegetables to pan & continue cooking until tender-about 30 minutes. If needed, thicken with reserved flour.

Hawaiin Chops

4 pork chops
1/2C. flour
1teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon pepper
4 pineapple slices

Trim excess fat from pork chops. In a bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper ; roll chops in flour mixture to coat. Arrange chops in a baking dish ; bake at 375 deg. for 30 minutes. Lay a slice of pineapple on each chop ; return to 350 deg. oven for 15 minutes.

I sometimes marinate the chops in the pineapple juice & some soy sauce for a little more flavor.

Chicken Pot Pie

2C cooked & diced chicken
1 1/2C chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
1 can Veg-All mixed vegetables
1 small onion, chopped (optional)

CRUST:
1C milk
1C self-rising flour
1 stick margarine, melted

In a 13x9x2 inch pan, mix together chicken, broth, soup, and vegetables. Spread evenly in pan & season with salt & pepper to taste. Mix crust ingredients & spread evenly over chicken mixture. Beake about 45 minutes at 400 deg. or until crust is golden brown.

Frogmore Stew
This is one of my dad's favorite. Just serve with cole slaw and a bowl of wild rice!

1/2lb. shrimp per person
1/4lb. kielbasa per person, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 ears corn per person
1 bag Zatarain's crab boil
1/4C salt per gallon of water

In a huge pot, bring water to boil. Use roughly twice the volume of water as the volume of ingredients. Add salt & crab boil bag ; boil for 7 minutes. Add kielbasa & boil for 7 minutes. Add corn & boil for 7 minutes. Add shrimp & boil for 4 to 7 minutes. Do not over cook shrimp. Drain & serve in a large bowl. The best way to serve this is on a table covered with newspaper. When everyone is done, just roll up the paper & shrimp shells & toss! Easy cleanup!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Are you going to be open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Or just one?
Can't think of a better place to find recipes for all three than here!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Crewsk & Mudbug

Crewsk , thanks for the input ..........Mudgug , I really don't know . It might be a full service place or maybe a carry out only . Like I said , I am looking for ideas . I saw a program on the Food Network where these guys opened up a chicken wing place and made it . It's all still on the drawing board . I won't open a hamburger or pizza franchise type business for the simple reason there are already to many of them . I want to do something unusual and unique . I want the food to be good enough where people are willing to spend an extra buck to get it . I don't want to get into the 99 cent hamburger or $5 pizza thing . Thanks , The Reaper !
Old 10-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
You're welcome Reaper! :D
Old 10-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Reaper, it might be good to think also about what you LIKE to cook. I think cooks tend to put more passion/skill/care into food they truly enjoy preparing or eating -- and the results usually reflect this.

Is there a single item (that isn't wings, burgers, or pizza) that you really like to make? You could specialize in that one thing, and maybe offer some complementary sides.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
man i wish my dad would open a resturant with me. well im only in high school, but he opposed me being a chef. ill find some of my recipies they are somewhere in my head.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 05:13 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't give up, Jr. Asyou say, you are still young!