Help identifying a vegetable in Chinese cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazed

Assistant Cook
Hi there! I'm a 19-year old guy who has recently been trying to do some more cooking at home. I watch Food Network all the time. I've experimented with some pretty cool stuff so far, but I'm always looking to expand and try something new.

I'm preparing egg fried bulgur wheat tomorrow night (very good and healthy with just a tiny bit of oil!) and I've been trying to wrack my brain to identify an ingredient I see in my local Chinese restaurants in vegetable dishes and sides. Originally, I thought it was squash, but upon reconsideration, I don't think squash could visibly look like this vegetable did.

It's sort of looks like a thin scallop. It's white, usually cut into little 1" diameter medallions about 1/8" thick. It has a very crunchy texture, very brittle when bitten into, but almost no flavor on its own. It's watery after you chew it, sort of like a very crunchy melon or a very, very brittle onion. I've tried to find a picture of it, but I've been unsuccessful.

I feel like it's something obvious and I just haven't thought of it, so I'll probably feel stupid when I find the answer :-p. I really want to know what it is so I can incorporate it into my meal tomorrow. I'm almost positive it's a vegetable, but I could be totally off - like I said, I thought it was squash originally (and it may actually be). All I know is they add a great crunch to an otherwise-mushy meal, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Ah, yes! That looks exactly like it, that must be it.

Thanks, guys. I never would have gotten that one on my own. :)

Looking forward to hanging around here a while!

Back
Top Bottom