"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
By the way this is a "Tourtiere" which is French Canadian...does anyone know how to pronounce "tourtiere" so when I tell this story to my friends I can at least get the name right?
Tort - rhymes with sport. - E - Air

Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My grandmother was french canadian and she made these, they never looked much better, but tasted great! I don't think that she ever wrote down her recipe, I think it was in her head.

Maybe if you try again, you could skip the bottom crust, as they often get too soggy in this type of pie anyway. You could just scoop it out of the pan.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

uhm...i think i'll pass dinner thanks...hehehe j/k

don't worry about that it's just one mistake. at least you're sure that you'll do better next time!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Mr. Greenjeans

I'll eat it!!!! Man I love a good meat pie.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
I do the same as what Kayelle does, i've found that potatoes are the only thing that will help out with salt overdose...

Potatoes don't absorb salt. They absorb liquid. You could add a kitchen sponge or just remove some of the liquid with a ladle and get the same result.

They don't make your dish less salty except for the fact that you've added additional unsalted starchy mass to the volume of food you are cooking. You could add rice or bread, too.

Potatoes aren't special.

Really the only way to reduce salt or heat or whatever error you've made it to make a 1/2 or 1/4 batch or whatever without the offending ingredient and combine them.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Potatoes don't absorb salt. They absorb liquid. You could add a kitchen sponge or just remove some of the liquid with a ladle and get the same result.

They don't make your dish less salty except for the fact that you've added additional unsalted starchy mass to the volume of food you are cooking. You could add rice or bread, too.

Potatoes aren't special.

Really the only way to reduce salt or heat or whatever error you've made it to make a 1/2 or 1/4 batch or whatever without the offending ingredient and combine them.
Yes, and the salt is in the liquid... I personally would never add a sponge to my food, and if you want a starchy mess, well go ahead and add rice... I've been cooking a long time and have used a potato successfully, but what do I know...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Yes, and the salt is in the liquid
The point Jenny was making is that by adding the potato you will remove salt and liquid, but the concentration of salt will not change if you remove the potato. If it works for you then keep doing it. The science behind what is happening is solid though. These are things that can be measured.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The point Jenny was making is that by adding the potato you will remove salt and liquid, but the concentration of salt will not change if you remove the potato. If it works for you then keep doing it. The science behind what is happening is solid though. These are things that can be measured.
Do you think i'm removing any more salt or liquid then if I used a sponge or ladle??? Tell me how I will get the same result if I ladle liquid out, does all the salt go into that particular ladle full??? Please enlighten me...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I am not saying you you will remove more by using a sponge or ladle. I am saying that a potato does not selectively remove salt. The potato removes liquid (just as a sponge would) and since there is salt in the liquid then you are removing salt as well, but the concentration of salt remains the same. It does not matter if you use a potato or a ladle or a sponge or bread or rice or anything else that will absorb or remove liquid. You will end up with the same exact concentration. These items do not selectively remove salt and leave other things behind which is what you would need to have happen if you wanted to make something less salty then what you started with.

Think of it this way. If you had a gallon of salt water and you removed a cup of that water has the overall saltiness of the original changed? Nope it hasn't. If you take that same gallon of salt water and put a potato in and let it soak up what it will and then remove the potato then that is the same as dipping a cup in and removing some of the salt water. The concentration remains exactly the same.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
Head Chef

GB I understand your point, to a certain extent... I've always used this method when necessary(as many others have) and find it always takes out some of the salty flavor, and not much of the liquid... But everybody has their own method and whatever works best for them is fine in my book...