Help it's on the stove! Cutting salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that is the bottom line after all. If you do something and it works for you then that is all that matters.

Luckily GB can explain things better than I can! ;)

A potato isn't a special thing that selectively absorbs only salt. It absorbs salty liquid. So does a sponge. When you add a potato to salty liquid and take it out, you have removed a certain amount of salty liquid. But you could have done that much more simply by ladling out a bit of the liquid.

The concentration of salt will be basically the same, except if you keep the potato in whatever you are making. In that case, you have added additional unsalted mass to your food, which, in turn, dilutes it's saltiness slightly. But you can add any unsalted foodstuff and have that happen.

Potatoes don't address the dilemma of overseasoned food.

Here's what one of America's top food scientists has to say about it: What Einstein told his cook: kitchen ... - Google Books

I have made many, many tourtieres (meat pies). but instead of adding ingredients to make a gravy as the pie bakes, I use veggies diced fairly small to insure that they will cook all the way through. And I pre-brown the meat. The veggies are seasoned before they go into the pie crust.

Because the liquid content is small, I always have a tender and flaky crust on the bottom and top. I make gravy on the side from the meat juices accumulated while browning the meat.

With this method, you can even pre-cook the veggie ingredients before adding them to the pie. That way, you know the seasoning is correct.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom