Help! Left out liquids in cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
I baked a coffee cake and left out 1.5 cups of sour cream! Its baking now. It called for 2.5 cups of floure, 3/4 butter, baking powder, soda, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 4 eggs, vanilla.

Don't want to serve my husband a gross cake and have him tease my baking skills - you think it will be OK or will leaving out all that wet ingrediant kill it?
Thanks

All you can do now is taste test it before you offer it. If it's good but a bit dry, you can warm some cream or milk and serve it that way. If it's bad, destroy the evidence and pretend it didn't happen.

You can brush the cake with a simple syrup as soon as you remove it from the oven - poke holes in it first, then add the simple syrup. This will moisten the cake, but will make it sweeter, so it's a little risky. OR... you could make a trifle.

If it is dry you could make a warm sauce with cream, sugar. Prick a few holes in the cake first. Let it absorb into the hot cake and call it pudding!

It is dry....a shame. I think I'll just not mention this to the rest if the family. Ha

bakechef said:
You could always cut it up and make a "bread" pudding out of it. I like bread pudding made with cake instead of bread!

Ok it's decided. I'm making my first bread pudding okay. Looked online my only issue is the net said cake will turn to mush and the dry bread absorbs liquid. I guess dry cake is the same

I'd just spread the cubed cake in the pan and pour over the custard. Stirring it might turn the cake to mush.

I made bread pudding out of pumpkin bread and it came out great.

I made it and it was sooooo good. I usually don't eat desserts but I couldn't stop as it was on the less sweet side which I prefer...must get it out of house...

You could also make a poke cake out of a dry cake. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes about 2 inches apart all over the cake. In a small bowl, mix a 3 oz. pkg of strawberry jello and 1 cup boiling water for 2 minutes until thoroughly dissolved. Add 1/2 cup very cold water. Stir. Pour over cake making sure to cover entire cake. Chill for 3 hours. Spread with whipped cream. Serve.

Cindercat said:
You could also make a poke cake out of a dry cake. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes about 2 inches apart all over the cake. In a small bowl, mix a 3 oz. pkg of strawberry jello and 1 cup boiling water for 2 minutes until thoroughly dissolved. Add 1/2 cup very cold water. Stir. Pour over cake making sure to cover entire cake. Chill for 3 hours. Spread with whipped cream. Serve.

I will keep that in mind for an future disasters. The cake had cinnamon and pine nuts so strawberry jello would not have worked...I made a cake with jello the other day for the first time in my life was pretty good

Glad it worked out for you!

I've messed up many recipes in my day by not paying enough attention, it's nice when you can still use the product, but in a different way!

Back
Top Bottom