"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
You would be amazed what is NOT available here, seriously.
Life without fudge? Are there any good Phillipine desserts?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Life without fudge? Are there any good Phillipine desserts?
I can get the ingredients to make fudge from scratch, just not the ingredients you suggested as I mentioned above (no chocolate chips, no nuts, etc). I haven't ever made fudge completely from scratch before, which is why I asked for advice.

Filipinos love sweets and yes you can buy desserts here or bake a standard cake, but the whole point of my Christmas basket idea is to give them something special and homemade that they can't get every day themselves, especially something from my own culture to share with my new friends.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Maybe these??

Sunday School Fudge Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old-Fashioned Fudge Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Homemade Yummy Fudge Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Chocolate Sour Cream Fudge Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I forgot to mention here that it is nearly impossible where I am to buy fresh milk (and therefore, fresh cream). I can get dairy products, but things like cheese, etc are all imported, and the milk I can buy is UHT or "Long Life" milk, frequently made with reconstituted milk powder. Anyone know if this will have an impact?

I bought some evaporated milk and UHT cream today so I will give this a shot and report back with the results.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Sounds like you're fighting an uphill battle. High humidity is also not a plus. In some countries evaporated milk is available in with a variety of butterfat contents. If you can, I suggest getting an evaporated milk with a higher butterfat content; 10% is about the highest I've seen. To some extent you can compensate for lower butterfat milk by using more butter; but I would not be surprised if you also have a problem buying sweet (unsalted) butter.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Hey Bill, just wanted to say thanks a MILLION for this....it worked perfectly. Took a bit of tweaking since I couldn't get the half and half here but I ended up producing 5 batches of fantastic fudge and everybody in the neighborhood is going gaga over it. Some of them have never had fudge at all and some (mostly foreigners living here) haven't had homemade fudge since they were a kid. Christmas WIN!

What I had to tweak:

Since I couldn't get half and half, I had to improvise. Plain evaporated milk didn't work. But evaporated milk with a bit of the heavy whipping cream I can get (about a 3:1 ratio) did the trick.

Maybe because I have a cheap candy thermometer, but my syrup never reached the recommended temp of 235-240 degrees. Seemed to top out at 225 no matter what I did. Thankfully I read the instructions about how to tell when you're at the softball stage, then tested continually until I got the desired results.

After cooling to 110 degrees and adding in the butter and vanilla, the mix didn't really change the way they said it would in the instructions. The first time we kept stirring determined to wait until it lost its gloss. I had to call my husband in to help me stir at some point as I have carpal tunnel and my hand was hurting. Just at the moment I noted the mix was losing its gloss, suddenly the entire thing turned very hard and very, very dry and crumbly. That batch was a loss. With the next batch I stirred until it was starting to get hard to stir, and I noticed as I swept the spoon through that a teeny streak of lighter brown color was peeking out. I stopped stirring at that point and poured it into the pan to set. Perfect consistency! I did that for the rest of the batches.

I'd like to try and make some with peanut butter. Anybody have suggestions on how to do that? Do I leave out the butter or use less of it? Or can I just add peanut butter to the final mix without any adjustments?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Sounds like you made a nice rich fudge.
FELIZ NAVIDAD
Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Hey Bill, just wanted to say thanks a MILLION for this....it worked perfectly. Took a bit of tweaking since I couldn't get the half and half here but I ended up producing 5 batches of fantastic fudge and everybody in the neighborhood is going gaga over it. Some of them have never had fudge at all and some (mostly foreigners living here) haven't had homemade fudge since they were a kid. Christmas WIN!
Yea!!!!!

Maligayang Pasko!