"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

It has to do with density. The water is much more dense than the air in the oven so it is more efficient at moving cold away from the ice cube.

Think of it like this. If you set you oven to 212 degrees and you fill a pot of water that is 212 degrees (boiling water) you will be able to stick your hand in the oven without any problem. You would not be able to stick your hand in the pot of water though. The water is much more dense and will transfer that heat a lot easier than the air in the oven.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Thanks a lot. I learn something every day!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Glad I could help Licia
Old 07-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
Sous Chef

thanks for all the advise guys! i am going to do a pulled pork with this (2nd attempt) and a dry rub. i guess i will run under water for a few hours (sealed in a bag) until it is about 1/2 way defrosted.

then i will apply the dry rub, put it back into a new bag and let it finish overnight in the fridge.

my question is...can i continue to thaw with the dry rub on?? or will the rub come off with the condensation - water runoff??

thanks again for all you suggestions!!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Probably a "Law" somewhere, but the reason is that water conducts better than air.... simple as that.

Edited to reply to the last question....yes you can thaw with the rub on your butt. There will not be condensation inside the bag... Yes the butt might leave a little moisture- forget about it.

I like to put my butt in a quarter or half pan - rub it up good, then cover with plastic wrap.

This is an interesting question, but the real issue you have to deal with is the smoke and the time/temperature. If you have broken the code for your cooking then the defrost/rub details shrink in importance.

Smoke 2 hours- more is not useful. Temperature is low... that's 225 to 230 in my cooker, and time all depends on things like how many times you open the cooker- try for fewer rather than more...and ambient temperature, wind and etc. Count on about 8 hours minimum. Internal temperature of the meat needs to come to 200 or so- and hold there for an hour at least. That's what causes the connecting tissue to "let go" and be easily pulled.

Obviously you will need two good thermometers, one for the meat, one for the cooker... what else? just ask.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I happen to like more of a smoke flavor on my pork butt than what 2 hours will give. I usually smoke my butts for 4 - 5 hours, then finish in a slow oven for another 4 hours. Heavenly!

My boss only smokes pork butt for 2 hours, nor does he cook it long enough to make it "pull". We run it on the slicer, cold, for sandwiches, portion it out, then heat portions to order for the sandwich. IMHO, the meat is a pale comparison to what I make at home, which pulls easily with two forks.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #17
Master Chef

I like the title.....threw me for a minute. I was thinking........I just came inside after sweating my xxx off and you want me to help you thaw yours out. Where in the heck does she live. Then I saw and reality hit and I knew you were wanting to thaw meat. Def. too much sun today!