"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Ok - I am assuming that I beat the eggs first, like I would scramble them, but, pour a bit on the grill..keeping the grill at very low temperature, and trying to make it a bit wide...and then it would slowly cook. Am I right?

Would I need to flip it? How could I get it to stay a certain shape?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Master Chef

french toast stuffed w/ cream cheese & fruit. peach, strawberry, or banana, they're great. frozen fruit is cheaper sometimes although if your're hurried, canned (if you chose peaches) is easier & they are good. w/ a bread lke schwebel's, creamcheese & fruit purchased on sale, w/ a sprinkling of sugar, a couple types of syrup, that would be inexpensive enough.

maybe waffles & a compote- compotes, they're very easy. fruit/sweetener/h2o/a cornstarch slurry poured into the fruit after cooking that through, cook for a minute or so thereafter/maybe a dash of cinnamon.. may i recommend blueberry & strawberry?

heuvos rancheros.

stuffed homefries, w/ peppers, onions, & that type of stuff. cheese, maybe cheddar or a blend.

baked (shirred) eggs

fritatta

a yogurt bar, w/ various types from lite to greek, granola, fruits

BLT's- yes, bacon ain't too cheap. a BLT uses, though, often, 3-4 half-pieces.

if i think of other items, i'll post~

i thought of another- a simple egg sammich! they're so good, they're easy, they don''t cost too much, & there's plenty of versatility there.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4qhk View Post
Ok - I am assuming that I beat the eggs first, like I would scramble them, but, pour a bit on the grill..keeping the grill at very low temperature, and trying to make it a bit wide...and then it would slowly cook. Am I right?

Would I need to flip it? How could I get it to stay a certain shape?
There are other ingredients for crepes, you need flour for sure. But yes, it would all be beaten together and then usually a 1/4 cup or less of batter for each crepe. Now is when you need to look at a recipe.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Here are some great instructions from Alton Brown. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Old 05-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Been looking at a video or two on Youtube and reading some recipes. This is going to be FUN!

I am going to try to make 60 crepes, and the rest of the eggs, I will scramble in case people want regular eggs.

If I make the crepes a day in advance, and store them in the fridge, can I just put them in the warmer a few hours before breakfast, and they'll warm up?

Also - what are good fillings for crepes? I was thinking about ham/cheese, but, some may like fruit..how hard is it for me to make a crepe on a serving line, with either topping? Can they be made pretty easily and quickly?

Jeremy
Old 05-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Practice at home before you add to the menu. It's not hard but there is a knack to it. You could pre-fill it for the guest. If there are multiple fillings, present a plate as a suggestion and have a someone standing by to assist. In some regions folks might not have ever seen a crepe.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4qhk View Post
How hard are they to make in a regular non stick skillet or on a flat grill? Can they be put in a warmer for a while and then "folded up" with the toppings in later?
I wouldn't do it on a non-stick skillet. A chef friend of mine spent a couple of weeks trying it on non-stick before he got the knack.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Baked French Toast: Spray a full sized steamtable pan 2" deep. Generally serves 30 people. Fill sprayed pan with cut up sweetbreads(day old rolls or croissants.) Take 3-4 cups frozen blueberries & 1 pound cream cheese cut up into small pieces. Distribute berries & cheese evenly into cut up bread. In a seperate bowl mix together 18-20 large eggs, 2.5-3 quarts milk, a splash of vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg. Pour egg mixture over bread/berry/cheese mix. Bake 50+ minutes or until firm in the middle. May need to cover as it can get to brown. Serve with butter & syrup on the side. Hold warm in a chafing dish.
Breakfast Burritoes: Scramble eggs with a small amount of lemon juice(this will prevent the eggs from turning green). Set aside. Using a flat top grill: spray 10-12" flour tortilla's with cooking spray sprinkle with you favorite seasoning(I like chili powder or cumin& garlic) Place tortilla's on grill, seasoned side down. Top tortilla with shredded cheese, diced ham & bacon & cooked scrambled eggs. Once they start to get a little crispy fold in each side, then roll up, wrap them tight. Depending how big you make the they can be cut into 2-3 pieces. Serve with salsa, sour cream & jalepeno's on the side.
A couple of idea's for you to try out. Hope it works out for you.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Baked French Toast: Spray a full sized steamtable pan 2" deep. Generally serves 30 people. Fill sprayed pan with cut up sweetbreads(day old rolls or croissants.) Take 3-4 cups frozen blueberries & 1 pound cream cheese cut up into small pieces. Distribute berries & cheese evenly into cut up bread. In a seperate bowl mix together 18-20 large eggs, 2.5-3 quarts milk, a splash of vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg. Pour egg mixture over bread/berry/cheese mix. Bake 50+ minutes or until firm in the middle. May need to cover as it can get to brown. Serve with butter & syrup on the side. Hold warm in a chafing dish.
Breakfast Burritoes: Scramble eggs with a small amount of lemon juice(this will prevent the eggs from turning green). Set aside. Using a flat top grill: spray 10-12" flour tortilla's with cooking spray sprinkle with you favorite seasoning(I like chili powder or cumin& garlic) Place tortilla's on grill, seasoned side down. Top tortilla with shredded cheese, diced ham & bacon & cooked scrambled eggs. Once they start to get a little crispy fold in each side, then roll up, wrap them tight. Depending how big you make the they can be cut into 2-3 pieces. Serve with salsa, sour cream & jalepeno's on the side.
A couple of idea's for you to try out. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
Executive Chef

If you want crepes, they should sell them precooked and packaged, usually in the produce section of the supermarket where they keep the prepackaged salads etc. Then all you have to do is fill, roll, and brown. I like mine stuffed with a strawberry/cream cheese mixture, then topped with strawberry compote. You can also use cottage cheese or ricotta cheese instead of cream cheese.

I was thinking something most of your patrons haven't had before: Huevos Rancheros is very popular in the southwest. A flour or corn tortilla, topped with some ranch style beans, covered with a fried egg or two depending on your budget, sprinkled with shredded cheddar, dressed with a medium hot salsa, and garnished with sour cream and/or guacamole. Add Mexican (not Spanish) rice and a side of fresh tropical fruit such as mango, papaya, pineapple, and/or passion fruit; or green salad with Southwest Caesar dressing.

Also, one of my favorite brunch items is a Monte Cristo sandwich. It's a sandwich made with Texas Toast bread, ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese, cut diagonally, toothpicked for stability, battered and deep fried, then plated, dusted with powdered sugar, and served with a huge dollop of strawberry preserves and some fresh fruit or a small green salad with a sweet dressing.

If you need recipes for any of that just let me know.

Tags
breakfast