Help! Need inexpensive breakfast ideas for 50-75 people!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crepes sound good, and I may work up to that...

But, because I haven't been able to get six people lined up..I am going to do a breakfast casserole for the first Sunday.

Let me ask this question - what I have always done for casseroles I have made at the house was to buy some canned Grand biscuits, and then flatten them for the bottom.

If I buy the frozen, bagged biscuits, in bulk, like Grands, will I be able to mash them down like that, when they thaw out?

Nope, frozen biscuits are not prebaked.

Ice breaker: Have everyone at the table introduce themselves and tell how they got their name. Or they can tell something about themselves that most people don't know.

Because so many of my recipes potentially call for a good amount of biscuit dough (breakfast casserole, monkey bread, etc...) I am trying to find out if it will be better to use canned biscuits, or, will it be cheaper to buy "biscuit dough" non-canned? I am sure there is a mark up for the easiness of canned biscuit dough. Can you buy it non-canned?

Strata is great, as is Frittata.....hey, do they have bagels and cream cheese and smoked salmon in your neck of the woods?.....deelish in the morning....or anytime

Because so many of my recipes potentially call for a good amount of biscuit dough (breakfast casserole, monkey bread, etc...) I am trying to find out if it will be better to use canned biscuits, or, will it be cheaper to buy "biscuit dough" non-canned? I am sure there is a mark up for the easiness of canned biscuit dough. Can you buy it non-canned?

You could use Bisquick or make your own bisquick substitute, which would be the cheapest.

Quiche!! This was a lovely breakfast idea (or would have been, if it was fully cooked--yikes!!) at a wedding that I attended. Just cook separate quiches and serve them in whatever kind of dishes suit the occasion. You can also dress it up by adding "fancy" ingredients like asparagus, spinach, good Parmesan cheese, etc. Oh, and it's suitable for any time of day. And talk about class-ay!

Toad in the Hole should go down a treat it incorporates pancake batter and sausages.
Ella, bagels, cream cheese and lox mitt a gherkin then some yesterdays cold lokshen pudding is a big brekkie fav of mine, the fact it renders me immobile is quite a pleasant side effect:)

TeeHee...you crack me up BDF......have you ever tried "potatonik"...(pudding) in chicken soup?....one Yum after another......also, my hubby taught me to eat Matzabrie with sour cream....

First breakfast - great, very successful. Breakfast casserole and monkey bread - loved by all!

Now - what's next? I am loving the "Stuffed/Baked French Toast" idea, but, what's a good hearty item to go along with it?

Jeremy

TeeHee...you crack me up BDF......have you ever tried "potatonik"...(pudding) in chicken soup?....one Yum after another......also, my hubby taught me to eat Matzabrie with sour cream....
Ella we were so poor as children the chicken soup didn't have chicken in it never mind potatonik which sounds like a training aid for apprentice Mohels.
Matzabrie mitt smetana! Ella you must be rolling in gelt I bet your husbands Kittel was silk mitt gold trimmings;)

My last post was really quick becuase of time constraints.

I went Saturday and pre-made all of my breakfast casseroles - 4 pans in total. I cooked all the sausage and then flattened out the thawed out frozen biscuits. It took me 2 hours or so. I spent about an hour experimenting with the monkey bread taste - and got it done.

On Sunday morning, me and my guys put together the monkey bread.

I noticed that with doing breakfast this way - clean up was VERY easy. Making everything in advance really saved a lot of time.

So, that being said - I hope to create the same scenario this weekend. I am going to church on Saturday and going to make the stuffed french toast recipe.

However, I need something else simplistic - because just about all of my team is going to be out of town - in fact, there is a slight chance it could just be me donig all of the prep for 80 people.

Without repeating last week, what else could I do that would be simple?

Jeremy

for your "regular" breakfast dish "offering" : ) --may i suggest one of my recently rediscovered favorites: farina, cooked with all milk, touch of salt and vanilla extract, with BROWNED unsalted butter, and wells of brown sugar and/or favorite fruit preserves. this is so simple, quick and inexpensive to whip up--very conducive for serving whole bunches of people, too. best of all, you won't believe the wondrous blending of the extraordinary flavors--sooo good, so satisfying, so lip-smackingly surprisingly rewardng. p.s. good luck, and i hope you try this sometime at home for yourself, even if you do not choose to use the dish for your church presentation. best regards, vitauta

What about a strata? Eggs, bread and cheese with a little meat. It is so yummy and fairly economical to make. You could also try making oatmeal in the slow cooker. Hope that helps!

Made to order omelets are not that bad...but you need at least 5 people with burners and pans going.

Back
Top Bottom