"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help! Need inexpensive breakfast ideas for 50-75 people!

Hey guys,

My name is Jeremy, first time poster from South Alabama.

Our church recently decided to have a breakfast before our weekly service, and, I have inherited the honor of being responsible for it for the next four weeks. No sarcasm intended at all, I am VERY EXCITED about this.

We have just been having this for a month now, and, it is going pretty well. While I was scared we would only have 30, we have had 50-70 each week, and, may continue to trend up.

Up until now, the fare has been pretty standard, at least by "Southern" standards. They have had eggs, grits, sausage, bacon, pancakes, biscuits, gravy, and the like. Now, they have mixed it up a bit, and haven't had all of the stuff on any given Sunday, but, that's typical fare for down here in the South. And, it's pretty popular.

However, for this next month, I am wanting to take it to "the next level." I'd like to "fancify" (made up word) our fare, with the hopes of giving our people an above average experience.

What are some examples of things we could prepare, with a minimum amount of talent/resources? Most of my team, to the best of my knowledge, has a limited amount of cooking experience, but, I am hoping to practice some this week on the things we are going to cook.

I need something that I can make "in bulk" at less than $3 a person, which is the cost for our breakfasts.

I saw a recipe for Red Velvet Pancakes and Cheesecake Pancakes. I may try those.

(I'd like to have one "fancy" dish and one "regular" dish, because not everyone is going to go for the fancier stuff.)

It is my goal that the food, along with some skits/dramas/extra touches from my team will cause breakfast attendance to increase. We are trying to use these breakfasts, as a church, to build unity and friendship among our attendees.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeremy James

Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Welcome to DC!

I am thinking pancakes with seasonal fresh fruit toppings and whipped cream would be good. Add Canadian Bacon and maybe a melon and cheese platter to make it lighter for warmer weather.

Sounds like a good time.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Welcome to DC!

I am thinking pancakes with seasonal fresh fruit toppings and whipped cream would be good. Add Canadian Bacon and maybe a melon and cheese platter to make it lighter for warmer weather.

Sounds like a good time.
Hey, thanks for the answer.

I actually saw a sign tonight advertising a IHOP meal, and it was pancakes with fruit and whipped topping. Do people put fruit on regular pancakes?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Muffins would add some zing without adding too much cost. Can be purchased pre-made from your local warehouse club.

Instead of pancakes you could do crepes and fill them with eggs and sausage or berries and cream. Adds elegance without getting "crazy".

Old 05-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I have never had a crepe - saw a recipe the other day that had crepes with cheese and ham in them.

Dumb question - is a crepe like a burrito but the external layer is egg instead of a tortilla?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4qhk View Post
I have never had a crepe - saw a recipe the other day that had crepes with cheese and ham in them.

Dumb question - is a crepe like a burrito but the external layer is egg instead of a tortilla?
Kinda the same, used more for sweet fillings, but can be filled with anything. And there's no such thing as a dumb question...
Old 05-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Admiral of the Texas Navy

A crepe is an egg pancake. The batter is more watery and doesn't have baking powder to make them rise. The result is a thin "pancake" kind of like a tortilla but without the lard.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh, and they are usually thin enough you do not have to turn them.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

How hard are they to make in a regular non stick skillet or on a flat grill? Can they be put in a warmer for a while and then "folded up" with the toppings in later?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It would be easiest to clean your grill, lightly oil and make up all your crepes, they will keep warm in a foil covered steam table pan.

In other words...yes!

Tags
breakfast