Help Needed, Crepe Creation Conundrums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casual Cook

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I really enjoy crepes, but am having problems in the following areas:

1.) Thickness: Most of my crepes are more like tortillas. Is there a secret to making them consistantly thin?

2.) Sticking: A friend gave me a heavy traditional crepe pan with out a non stick surface. What is the best way to prevent sticking crepes?

3.) Flipping: I cant flip them, so I and drop them into another pan. Some get folded so I lose them. Besides practice, is there a trick to the flip?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thickness is governed by the batter and how you spread it. If you put too much batter into the pan, if the batter is too thick, if the pan too hot or if you don't work fast enough, you can't make thin crepes.

You pan has to be heated to the right temperature and have a light coating of fat (butter) throughout to minimize sticking.

The technique you see most commonly is to add a very small amount of the batter (quite thin batter) and spread it over the pan surface rapidly so it doesn't set before it's spread.

As far as flipping, run a thin metal spatula around the entire edge to free it up then pick it up with your fingers and flip it over.

Rule of thumb - you always ruin the first crepe in the batch. Toss it and proceed.

With proper care your pan should be non-stick, assuming it is cast iron. It just needs to be 'seasoned' properly. To do this, coat your pan with a THIN coating of vegetable oil, place upside down on a piece of aluminium foil (to catch drips) in a moderate oven for 30-60 minutes. Cool to room temperature. It is recommended that you repeat this once or twice. This allows the oil to permeate the pores of your pan and makes the surface smooth, also repels water, and will stop your pan getting rusty. Do keep it dry, though! After washing (without soap is recommended) place over heat to dry. Don't soak your pan, or leave in water for very long.

If you are having trouble flipping them, try letting them cook just a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom