HELP quick...no boil noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CassieKate

Assistant Cook
I'm making lasagna and I usually use Barilla sheets, but this one is no boil. I will NEED to boil them. Can I and for how long you think?

Cassie,
If you have the lasagna noodles I'm thinking of, you don't need to boil to make a lasagna. You just layer the noodles in your baking dish along with your cheese and sauce, just as you would with boiled noodles.The moisture from the sauce softens them and makes them edible.The box should have directions on it.
kadesma:)

CassieKate said:
I'm making lasagna and I usually use Barilla sheets, but this one is no boil. I will NEED to boil them. Can I and for how long you think?

If I understand you, you are asking about boiling Barilla No Boil noodles?

They answer is NO. Don't do it.

If that's not your question, can you clarify what the dilemma is?

sounds as if you are mixing boil and no boil noodles...you will end up with two very different textures. THe no boils are thinner and feel like fresh pasta in the mouth. the traditional boil up lasagna is thicker and chewier.

Never having done it before, but having used the no boil noodles a lot recently, I would say 1 minute max to barely soften. They will drink up sauce in your lasagna, but less if you dunk em for 1 min.

Try one and see what happens, maybe 30 sec maybe 2 min??

You will still have 2 different noodle textures.

The recipe on the box of the no boil noodles has the lasagna cooking for about an hour. BUT, I am using a Cooking Light recipe that has it cooking only 15 minutes, so that's why I was wondering if the no boil would cook ENOUGH in 15 minutes??? Like Robo said, maybe dunking them for a minute would make it work?

IMO no lasagana is done in 15 minutes, no matter what kind of noodles you use.

IS the amount of sauce/liquid in your recipe the same as the recipe on the box of noodles?

I don't think you should dunk the noboil noodles.

What's the name of your recipe? SOme CL recipes are online

Last edited:
CassieKate said:
The recipe on the box of the no boil noodles has the lasagna cooking for about an hour. BUT, I am using a Cooking Light recipe that has it cooking only 15 minutes, so that's why I was wondering if the no boil would cook ENOUGH in 15 minutes??? Like Robo said, maybe dunking them for a minute would make it work?

Cassie, could this be the recipe? If so, do not boil the noodles:

Lazy Lasagna Recipe - Dairy - MyRecipes.com

Does the box say precooked or no boil noodles? If not, I would cook the noodles first & follow the rest of the recipe.

Last edited:
If I use lasange sheets that need to be boiled i boil them for 7 minutes 3 at a time so they don't stick together, then place them in cold water straight away.

My lasagne takes about an hour to cook in teh oven (prep is long too)to make it boil and melt all the good things :)

I've used no boil noodles for lasagna several times. I'm not sure why you NEED to boil them but don't. They cook up perfectly done each time. They wouldn't sell them if they didn't work.

And just for the record I agree with Jennyanna here. No lasagna will cook up in 15 minutes. I wouldn't even try it. I don't think it will even heat through in 15 minutes much less cook.

Yes, its a no meat lasagna from Cooking light that is a very thin layer of sauce, cheese and noodles, so 15 minutes IS enough. I dunked the no boil noodles for a minute and they worked. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom