Help Save My Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoanneC

Assistant Cook
I'm making beef stew, and by accident I put in not just a dash of celery salt, but over a full tablespoon. Now the stew is very bitter.

I removed half the broth and added water, and it is still bitter.

Any way to fix it, or suggestions? Thanks.

How long did it cook after the addition of celery salt. If you realized it immediately, you might get away with dumping all liquid and replacing. If not, I would probably divide what you have, freeze it and add some to a new batch, then adjust the seasonings. Maybe a 1 part of this batch to 3-4 parts new batch.

BTW, welcome to DC!

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything you can do other than what CraigC suggests. There is an old trick of adding potato to absorb excessive saltiness and flavours, but by all accounts that doesn't really work or at best has a marginal effect. Plus it seems an awful waste of potato.

I have had some slight success at rescuing some meals by adding some honey to the ingredients but monkeying around with the ingredients too much can result in some weird tasting food.

Takeaway/takeout might be seeming very appealing right now........

Welcome to DC! That's a shame about your stew. I agree with CraigC's recs. Another thought would be to drain, maybe rinse everything well, and start over with the same stuff and a new gravy, maybe add some red wine.

Thanks for the help, everyone. What we eventually did was much like Dawgluver suggested - we drained it and rinsed it, and then simply served the beef and carrots on top of rice.

It was a strange way to prepare the beef, but it turned out pretty well in the end. :)

So glad you were able to salvage it! And now you have a new recipe!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, everyone. What we eventually did was much like Dawgluver suggested - we drained it and rinsed it, and then simply served the beef and carrots on top of rice.

It was a strange way to prepare the beef, but it turned out pretty well in the end. :)

Well you did learn a new way of fixing a meal. And other than the broth, nothing went to waste. Good job!

Welcome to DC. This is a great sight. Do stick around and have some fun as well as learning new info. :angel:

The may help convince some that adding celery to a sauce tends to add a bitter note.
So says Thomas Keller and I concur.

The may help convince some that adding celery to a sauce tends to add a bitter note.

I do not like cooked celery and I can't eat it raw. But when I do make a stew or soup, if I have it on hand, I will only add one stalk. But for the past couple of months for some reason celery has not been on my shopping list. I don't consider it a necessary item. And I find that since I can't eat it raw, buying just celery hearts, they sit in my fridge until they reach the stage of brown mush. The only other item I may use it for is tuna salad. And I can use ground celery seed for the flavor. I don't like celery seed. :angel:

I have to say that Delia Smith's recipe 'Braised celery Vinaigrette' is stunning and if that doesn't convert you then nothing will. It is wonderful with poultry particularly and worth a shot Addie.

The taste profiles of celery and celery seed are different. It's like saying you don't like cilantro (which I don't) so you won't like coriander (which I do). The fresh herb tastes differently from its dried seeds.

Also, I've made the family spaghetti sauce for 40 years adding celery seed and no one has ever said anything about a bitter note. Most reactions are "do you have more?" :yum: No complaints from family and friends about celery anywhere. I'm not worried about Chef Keller's opinion, I have no intention of having him for dinner anytime soon.

Too much celery salt? As for the overly salty part, I've removed everything but the sauce and added in some plain yogurt with some success, more so than adding in a raw potato to fix saltyness. Surprisingly, a little plain yogurt added to the sauce muted the saltyness but not the overall flavor (that much).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom