Help, too much salt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooking 4 2

Assistant Cook
My granddaughter was helping me cook tonite. She added 1 tbs of salt & 1 tbs pepper to a tuna/noodle casserole. Needless to say it is uneatable. IS there anyway to nuetrilize the salt/pepper overdose and save the meal?

I heard adding raw potatoes is a myth, but I was so desperate one time I tried it in my curry stew that was too salty. I can't say that it really made much difference. You can give it a try. Or, try some sugar.

Last edited:
Make another tuna noodle casserole, without any salt and pepper, mix them together, and divide them between two casserole dishes. You can eat one and put the other one in the freezer and eat it next week, or next month, or whenever.

Last edited:
thank you everyone!

Great suggestions everyone, thank you! I think I'll try the "make another and mix them together" method. We're very fond of tuna casserole so having extra in the freezer will be handy. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to show Ann Marie the difference in teaspoon & tablespoon. I'm going to remember this and tell her future husband about it.;):ROFLMAO:

Yep, I agree with that. The only way to save it is to add to it.
Ditto here. Make it again without S&P and mix the two together. And don't be too hard on her, she's learning.We've all been there. One of my house mates put 8 bay leaves in spaghetti sauce on her night to cook....way too much bay. But then, she also put her socks in the oven to dry and they caught on fire...we had a dryer...don't know why she used the oven to dry her socks...xxxx tes bas brule....our other house mate from France calmly called out as she put her fork down,...

Last edited:
I heard adding raw potatoes is a myth, but I was so desperate one time I tried it in my curry stew that was too salty. I can't say that it really made much difference. You can give it a try. Or, try some sugar.
My mother used to use the potato method if she ever over salted soup. It seemed to work then. I don't think you could do it with a tuna casserole though

Last edited:
My mother used to use the potato method if she ever over salted soup. It seemed to work then. I don't think you could do it with a tuna casserole though

Ya you're right, I was talking in general terms.

I think the adding raw potato "fix" for over saltiness was erroneously derived from people adding too much salt to their boiling potatoes and finding out their potatoes came out briny unedible! (my aged dad was guilty of doing this) They overlooked the water cooking temperature of the potato and other factors and concluded therefore that adding a raw potato to an overly salted dish would un-salt it.

Boiling potatoes take in salt super fast, use just a pinch...I don't use any.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom