"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

God I love hash browns but it's almost impossible to make them from scratch because when I try to wring out the moisture then they get all crushed then when you fry it it just breaks up and disintegrate into almost nothing. I really don't want to buy it frozen because I rather have "fresh" from my own stash.

What worked better was just to cook them whole in the microwave 1st which removes most of the moisture. Then I let them cool on the counter for couple hrs then I shred them and by then it's dry and ready to fry. BUT they still shrink and don't become nice and fluffy like the ones you get at IHOP. I'm still trying and tinkering with it and hopefully one day they will come out as good as baked potatoes.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

I decided to make some HBs for lunch. I grated a russet potato and wrung it dry by twisting it in a towel (as seen on TV). I pre-heated a non-stick skillet and added a pat of butter. Then the potatoes went in with some salt and pepper over medium heat. Topped that with my ridged bacon press. The ridges applied uneven pressure, causing the potato to brown unevenly but you can see they are brown and I can attest they were crispy. The sausages were good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02312.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	12818  

Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Shred your raw potatoes onto a tea towel. Wring the water of them. Put them onto your George Forman- or panini-style grill. Place a pat or three of butter over them. Close the grill. They come out with a perfect crunch on the outside.
Now there's a hint worth remembering!! Going out to the garage to retrieve the Geo. Foreman grill from the Goodwill donation box.

Makes perfect sense Zereh!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh
Shred your raw potatoes onto a tea towel. Wring the water of them. Put them onto your George Forman- or panini-style grill. Place a pat or three of butter over them. Close the grill. They come out with a perfect crunch on the outside.
Zereh, I'm going to try this too! Great idea! Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #35
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Almost every hash house I've seen the back end of uses dehydrated potatoes to make hash browns. They are re-hydrated in bulk and then fried on the griddle with whatever else happens to be cooking. I use these at home (shhhh....) as well and they made fabulous hashbrowns - just the the ones at the breakfast shop ;)
Here's a link of an example

I always leave plenty of time to soak these in hot water - maybe up to an hour and then RINSE them. This removes most of the 'food from New Jersey' processed taste. I cook them in a skillet in a mixture of butter and olive oil and turn them only once. No fiddling with them as they cook.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #36
Executive Chef

That's interesting about the dehydrated hash browns. I'll have to see if I can find them at the supermarket.

Janet you mentioned something that is IMO very important and not previously mentioned in this topic:

Turn your hash browns only once!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
That's interesting about the dehydrated hash browns. I'll have to see if I can find them at the supermarket.

Janet you mentioned something that is IMO very important and not previously mentioned in this topic:

That's why we have been saying "do not play with them." Let them sit and brown.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
Head Chef

Frying hash browns with non stick pans, the oil separates and it's almost like you have to steer the hash browns into the pan to get them cooking properly.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post

I doubt the post reply about hash browns in greasy spoons being par cooked.
McDonalds DOES partially cook their fries and freezes them, I doubt that's the case with packaged hash brown potatoes of any kind. The only kind of hash browns you can buy frozen are basically just shredded potatoes that have been quick flash frozen, not par boiled, just frozen as they are. They are OK (not as flavorful as freshly grated). I'm gonna try and get better at cooking them to a nice golden brown.

lol, I blames my non-stick pan.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #40
Executive Chef

My best are made for the breakfast the morning after having baked potatoes. I make extra to use the next morning. Sometimes with bacon grease and sometimes with butter. Always with a little onion. Yum yum!!

Tags
potatoes