"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I always cringe when I see someone write about the "potential health risks" of Canola Oil.
I too scoff that there is any health risk of using Canola oil than any other commonly used cooking oils.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #52
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pine View Post
People have NOT been using Canola Oil for centuries.....Canola Oil
did not exist until 1968.
Canola is Rapeseed oil. Rape (from the Latin "Rapa") is a type of turnip. The phrase "Canola" was invented in Canada, not the oil itself.

According to Purdue University, "Rapeseed has been important to Europe since the 13th century as a source of food and oil for fuel." It's not all genetically engineered. The lower erucic acid varieties available today were first bred in the field - not the lab - using traditional plant breeding techniques.

About half of the Canola oil today comes from genetically engineered crops. But the same goes for soy and corn. And no, I don't buy GMO, either. Certified organic non-GMO Canola Oil is the only kind I use.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #53
Executive Chef

I didn't know about the GMO stuff. There's a reason I would avoid using something, just because I'm not convinced GMO food is safe.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

Like it or not, we all eat genetically engineered foods every day and have been for quite some time. Remember the story of Luther Burbank from school??

A few centuries ago, ears of corn were a couple of inches long and they were modified to be much sweeter and as big as we see them today. People buy heirloom tomatoes because modern tomatoes have been bred to be different (and not as good). Pigs have been bred to have leaner meat than before. Chickens and turkeys have been bred to produce larger breasts so for more white meat. Nectarines and Meyer lemons are genetically modified. The list goes on.

Canola oil comes from a modified rapeseed plant that produces a neutral oil with more healthful properties. There is nothing harmful about it. Why is it important who own the patent to the seeds?

There are all sorts of quasi-legitimate websites that have been created with the specific purpose of turning you off to a product. Typically, these sites are created by the product's competitions (think corn oil manufacturers) to keep you from switching to another product.

If you decide to avoid canola oil "Just to be on the safe side". You have been manipulated and they have succeeded in their purpose.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #55
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I didn't know about the GMO stuff. There's a reason I would avoid using something, just because I'm not convinced GMO food is safe.
If you use Canola Oil, one brand you might want to look at is Spectrum. They make an organic product that is non-GMO.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #56
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A few centuries ago, ears of corn were a couple of inches long and they were modified to be much sweeter and as big as we see them today. People buy heirloom tomatoes because modern tomatoes have been bred to be different (and not as good). Pigs have been bred to have leaner meat than before. Chickens and turkeys have been bred to produce larger breasts so for more white meat. Nectarines and Meyer lemons are genetically modified. The list goes on.
Andy, the difference I see here is that all of these food items were created by using selective breeding. That's not too far removed from what mother nature does. What Monsanto (and other Frankenfood corporations) have done is used gene splicing techniques in the laboratory to introduce foreign DNA to plants at the molecular level. For example, they've created plant species that are resistant to RoundUp or poisonous to certain insects. I don't think that's what Luther Burbank had in mind.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Different goals same process. The real difference is that it can be done much faster now and with fewer errors.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Andy, the difference I see here is that all of these food items were created by using selective breeding. That's not too far removed from what mother nature does. What Monsanto (and other Frankenfood corporations) have done is used gene splicing techniques in the laboratory to introduce foreign DNA to plants at the molecular level. For example, they've created plant species that are resistant to RoundUp or poisonous to certain insects. I don't think that's what Luther Burbank had in mind.
I have no problem with selective breeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Different goals same process. The real difference is that it can be done much faster now and with fewer errors.
The problem I have is when foreign DNA from other species are inserted into food crops. For example, insect DNA inserted into plant crops. I'm sure there's plenty of other better examples. Maybe most of the GMO examples are fairly sane things but my problem is when things not related to the crop species are inserted. I don't believe testing has reached the point of complete certainty that GMO crops are safe. I don't believe that science has reached that level of ultimate certainty.

I cook mostly using Olive oil and/or butter. I've been using Canola oil for frying, sometimes Peanut oil. I'm thinking maybe I'll switch from using Canola to Peanut. I probably won't be surprised if somebody tells me my Olive and Peanut are GMO too.

Sorry folks, I just don't want to use GMO stuff. And yes, I accept there's probably lots of GMO stuff in my diet that I don't even know about. That bothers me. Unfortunately you can't just quit eating.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #59
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I cook mostly using Olive oil and/or butter. I've been using Canola oil for frying, sometimes Peanut oil. I'm thinking maybe I'll switch from using Canola to Peanut. I probably won't be surprised if somebody tells me my Olive and Peanut are GMO too.
Not to my knowledge. But why not just use organic Canola oil? It's not GMO.

Peanut oil has some issues as well. It contains a great deal of saturated fat, and is very omega-6 heavy (omega-6 fatty acids are the ones that promote blood clotting). A single tablespoon of peanut oil contains 4 grams of omega-6 and virtually no omega-3.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #60
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Not to my knowledge. But why not just use organic Canola oil? It's not GMO.

Peanut oil has some issues as well. It contains a great deal of saturated fat, and is very omega-6 heavy (omega-6 fatty acids are the ones that promote blood clotting). A single tablespoon of peanut oil contains 4 grams of omega-6 and virtually no omega-3.
I don't fry in canola anymore because I sometimes get an off odor when I do. Smells of fish.

Tags
potatoes