"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #71
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Ummm, aren't Ore-Ida brand frozen hash browns dehydrated like the ones at the other places you mentioned?
I don't think so. All you need to do with the frozen Hash Browns is put them
on the grill (griddle/pan) and cook them. The dehydrated ones come in a
cardboard box, and you have to fill the box with water to re-hydrate them
before you cook them.

I don't see any reason to freeze dehydrated potatoes. Unless that is
something new that I haven't seen yet.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #72
Head Chef

I just wanted to say my potato ricer arrived yesterday and wow, the amount of water that came out of the grated potato was substantial. They fried up really easily to a nice golden color. I'm in hash heaven now, thanks to the ricer. A fantastic tip I missed out on for years. No more oil soaked awful looking hard to cook hash browns from now on for me. They fry up much easier than the frozen hash browns too, even with those I had difficulty. They are shredded too thin and small.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #73
Executive Chef

I'll have to get me one of them potato ricers. I've found that moisture is the principal enemy when making hash browns and other similar recipes.

Cheesecloth had been a good ally. Particularly when onions are involved. (Onions are mostly moisture.)
Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #74
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I'll have to get me one of them potato ricers. I've found that moisture is the principal enemy when making hash browns and other similar recipes.

Cheesecloth had been a good ally. Particularly when onions are involved. (Onions are mostly moisture.)
Again on the topic of frozen shredded Ore-Ida Hash Browns, I had the same problem with moisture content cooking those. I think they just shred them and freeze them without removing the moisture.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #75
Head Chef

I like to soak the shredded potatoes in acidulated ice water for at least a couple of hours if not overnight. Then I pour off the water and dump the potatoes into a clean dish towel to wring them very dry. Probably a salad spinner would work too. It takes out a lot of the starch and I get tender, crisp hash browns. As for the onions, when I want them I chop the onions and put in a small glass bowl with a pat or two of butter and I nuke them. Then I add them to the finished hashbrowns. Now I never get burnt little bits of onion running through my hash browns...works for me.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #76
Sous Chef

Hash browns are part of the breakfast I cook every Thursday morning for the homeless shelter guests. The church has a big old National stove, four burners and two ovens and a huge griddle. I chop a couple of big sweet onions in the food processor and dump them into a steam table tray, then change to the fine shredding disk and push washed, halved unpeeled russets through it, dump into the tray with the onions, salt it lightly and hand mix while the griddle heats on a medium flame. I have been using canola oil because it is cheap and nobody seems allergic to it, and our several vegetarians are OK with it. I use an ice cream scoop to portio out balls of potato/onion mix onto the griddle and leave them alone for ten minutes, then check the first one I put on. If it is ready, I start turning and flattening them into patties, and let the whole thing go until brown on the bottom. While I wait to turn them, I portion out loose bulk sausage onto the griddle using a smaller scoop. Cook the sausage the same way I cook the potatoes. When done, they all go into the same (cleaned) tray with wire cooling racks and paper towels in the bottom, cover with a dish towel, and into a warm oven while I scramble three dozen eggs, the last dozen with chorizo, then warm flour tortillas. The whole deal takes about forty minutes. We seldom have left over anything.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #77
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I use an ice cream scoop to portio out balls of potato/onion mix onto the griddle and leave them alone for ten minutes, then check the first one I put on. If it is ready, I start turning and flattening them into patties, and let the whole thing go until brown on the bottom.
Ice cream scoop huh? Makes sense in that it allows more hashbrown servings to be be cooked on a given cooking space? OK.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Ice cream scoop huh? Makes sense in that it allows more hashbrown servings to be be cooked on a given cooking space? OK.
I am impressed that he does this every single week for the homeless. Kudos to you kid!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

now that you have your spuds down, try cooking a scoop in bacon grease with a bit of paprika. you can say it's cheating, but it's delicious nonetheless.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #80
Sous Chef

Bacon grease is a rare commodity at the church, but I will try it at home. Maybe I could start the sausage before the taters at shelter, and push the grease over to the area where I'll do them.

Tags
potatoes