"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Help with a picky eater

I live with a picky eater. The problem is he's an adult, not a child, so I can't force him to eat his vegetables. I enjoy cooking with a variety of ingredients, including ethnic foods and fresh produce, but he is a midwest boy and only wants meat and potatoes... I want to eat healthy and interesting food... Does anyone have any ideas on how to sneak vegetables into a meal so he doesn't know he's eating them? Or how to spice up some classic(i.e. boring) meals with fun substitutions?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't think you should "sneak vegetables into a meal". He will not appreciate your tricking him.

Have a talk with him and get him to agree to try one new dish, including vegetables, each week. That's your opportunity to be creative with foods that he can enjoy. Without knowing the details of hid likes and dislikes and your abilities, it's not really possible to tell you what to cook.

When you go out to eat, do you try different restaurants? Do you try ethnic restaurants? Which restaurants and which dishes does he like? That would be a good place to start.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My friend used to put pureed vegis in the bread she baked.

Carrot cake, zucchini bread
Old 03-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxolso1 View Post
I live with a picky eater. The problem is he's an adult, not a child, so I can't force him to eat his vegetables. I enjoy cooking with a variety of ingredients, including ethnic foods and fresh produce, but he is a midwest boy and only wants meat and potatoes... I want to eat healthy and interesting food... Does anyone have any ideas on how to sneak vegetables into a meal so he doesn't know he's eating them? Or how to spice up some classic(i.e. boring) meals with fun substitutions?
GAH!!! So, this is great...I find out online that my husband has another wife in MN?!?!
My DH is the WORST picky eater that I have EVER encountered. He hates darn near everything. A few funny things that I have noticed over the yrs., is that, most things I cook actually contain things that he claims to hate. Celery & mushrooms are a few just off of the top of my head. He has eaten more of both of those over the yrs, but, just didn't realize it.
I really don't have a solid solution for you, except just maybe chop the things really finely - (&, hope that he's REALLY hungry that particular day)!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Karen and I like our chili differently. On chili days, we each make our own. She also likes homany in green chili stew, so I separate into two pots after reaching the point where I add potato to mine.

My point is compromise like the latter or each cook separately to your own likes.

Craig
Old 03-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
... actually contain things that he claims to hate.
My dad swear he hates mayo. Hates it! But he'll eat a bowl full of potato- or macaroni-salad the size of his head unless we make him share!

I don't have anything polite or ladylike to say about fussy eaters so I'll just leave that alone.

P.S. I went to high school in Ada, MN ...

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My approach, I cook for me. If Shrek doesn't like it, he is perfectly capable of cooking something for himself and welcome to. I would never consider tricking him into eating something he doesn't like...I kind of like having him around.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxolso1 View Post

I'm trying to figure out how my dh is getting all the way to Minnesota without my knowing it. But dh is not really picky. He will eat most foods. He will eat two huge heaping plates of the stuff. Then he will proceed to tell me what is wrong with it. He says he hates cheese but eats it on everything and even buys it himself. He will eat all kinds of veggies as long as they are prepared in a way that is pleasing... to a ten year old. For years I couldn't put nuts into cookies because he didn't like them. Then one day he came home from work and said he had great ccc. It turned out they were chock full of walnuts. He also would not allow me to use sage. Then one day he came home from the store with a bottle of sage saying his brother uses it and it's good. I have given up trying to please him. Now when I cook (every day) I just figure he can either season and spice things himself or cook something else but I am eating the way I want to eat. I'm tired of being bored with food because he is so ...well, I don't even have a word for it. My it felt good to get that out!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I have a picky eater too....i have BEGGED him to bite an apple, taste a banana pudding, try a strawberry shortcake, take a sip of orange juice...but no he "hates" all fruit...how can someone hate ALL fruit?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thankfully, my husband and I share a very short list of common foods we don't like. Believe me, as the principal cook in the family, I know how lucky I am, as I think it would be so discouraging to try and cook for a picky eater.
Good cooking takes real effort and I'm sorry so many of you are under appreciated. Sometimes I wonder if picky eaters shouldn't be ignored, as it often seems like just a bid for attention.
Actually, I think PF has the right idea.....
Quote:
My approach, I cook for me. If Shrek doesn't like it, he is perfectly capable of cooking something for himself and welcome to.
If your loved one doesn't know how to cook, I always say "if you can read, you can cook".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote