"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There is a really good article about this topic here: How to Make France's Other Crepes: Savory Buckwheat Galettes Bretonnes | Serious Eats

I've made a version of these that are slightly fermented, mixing buckwheat with water and a little yogurt and letting this soak for a day or two to develop some flavor, then adding milk, egg and a little salt to get the desired consistency just prior to cooking.

Good luck
I don't know if I want to ferment the dough mix yet, but thanks a bunch for the link. It gave me more information and another variation of the recipe to work with. That's mixing 50% of wheat flour or close to it with the buckwheat flour. I will certainly post my findings, if you care to hear about it

Old 12-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
What kind of consistency did you get on the batter? Seems way too heavy on flour. Also a lot of salt. I use that much for a whole loaf of bread.
I would say it was more liquid than heavy, if this means anything to anyone , but the salt proportions are correct, about 3 gr of salt per 100 gr of flour.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4food View Post
Lets not confuse sweet crepes, that definitely need eggs, with salted crepes, like those buckwheat crepes, that should not need eggs, but I have seen one French recipe that asked for one egg. So perhaps .... it might be worth investigate
Not confusing anything, my buckwheat crepes have egg, they are delicious and hold up well to fillings.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not confusing anything, my buckwheat crepes have egg, they are delicious and hold up well to fillings.
OK, lets say that recipe takes eggs, so what would be your recipe with what brand of buckwheat? Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use King Arthur Buckwheat Flour and their recipe for Buckwheat Crepes.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:52 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I use King Arthur Buckwheat Flour and their recipe for Buckwheat Crepes.
I never seen that recipe with that many eggs and milk either, but that won't stop me for trying it. Thanks again Princess.
I did double check the original recipe with a friend of mine that runs a Creperie in France, La Passe Sud, and his recipe is just flour, salt and water. But again, the flour in the US is different than in France. I very much hope King Arthur perfected that flour, as they often do with others.

Tags
buckwheat, wheat