Help with Burgundy (in cooking recipe)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
philso said:
jeez barb, i guess i misunderstood the thread. i thought you were inviting us over to help you out with your wine. :huh:

icon12.gif
Come on over, Ill share ! Didn't take the first bottle back, but found another one at a differant store - Gallo Hearty Burgundy - hope its ok! So now we have plenty - :wacko: Thanks all for you input !!!!

shpj4 said:
Burgundy is a red wine and goes very well with meat dishes. Just pick up a bottle and when you are through with the wine make sure that the cork is put in tightly.
How long will it keep and do I have to keep it in the fridge ? Thanks

Barb L. said:

From a bottle, not really too long--maybe a week or so. Keep in fridge.

Barb L. said:

IMHO reds do not keep well. Once opend they begin to oxidize. This is a good thing for red's when they are just opend and is refered to breathing. That is why you may want to decant a red so it's flavors will open up. Some wine may also have a sediment in the bottom of the bottle which is another reason to decant. But as with most things too much of a good thing becomes bad and the wine will begin to take on off flavors. Even if the cork is in tightly there is still oxygen in the bottle. My suggestion is to sevre it with your meal. There would only be another 4 glasses left in it. At the very most I would give 1 day. White's on the other hand are more forgiving and you can get a few more days out of them once opened.

JDP

jennyema said:
Don't foprget that you can freeze wine to cook with later.
Good call, Jenny! If you're worrying about keeping wine around for cooking, pour what's left in your bottle into an extra ice cube tray and freeze it. When it's solid, you can pop them out and store them in a zip lock bag, labeled, of course, with what kind of wine it is... Keeps indefinitely.

Around our house, tho, the wine rarely lasts that long....

For storing wine to drink "later," get yourself a Vacu-Vin. It's a contraption that comes with a couple of stoppers that you put into the bottle where the cork was, and use the contraption to drain the oxygen out of the bottle. Using that, I've successfully kept wine (in the fridge) for as long as 5 days.

Great minds think alike... I was going to suggest freezing as well. We tend to do it in tablespoon measures (1 tablespoon per cube) so I can do the quick math as to how many cubes I may need for a recipe. I don't typically have red frozen just because that's what I drink but I do have lots of white!

Just a note on Pinots ... when we lived in Oregon, we discovered several great names that really didn't hurt the pocket book too much. The best we ever found was Big Fire by R. Stewart. A friend of mine and I bought it for the label (the best way to buy wine, imvho) and have drunk it since.

What price range for the Big Fire? R.Stewart? I am always looking for a reasonable pinot. I think it is the one kind that you just have to pay more for for a good one. DS brought some back from the Willamette Valley that were truly MEMorable!!

Candocook said:
What price range for the Big Fire?

When we were living in the Willamette Valley (Salem), we paid $13 on the average unless we went to the winery, then it was about $8. Here in Wisconsin, it is about $18 but I don't complain - there is only one store anywhere near us that will carry it!

I use the Gallo jug wines all the time for cooking & have for over 20 years. In fact, always have jugs of Chablis Blanc, Burgundy &/or Chianti in the pantry at all times.

Very drinkable - although I always serve something nicer to company - & work fabulously in everything I cook. And at $8 to $10 a gallon, a steal considering how much cooking with wine I do.

All great input. We enjoy the Burgundy Gallo always. Chill...we keep ours
in our shed next to the kitchen...just keeps it the right temp. I use a Port/Taylor Burgundy for my tomatoe sauces. And I also use Port/Taylor for my Beef Stew...I use white Marcus James Chardonnay for clam sauce and Pork Stew plus. For special times: Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Port. Some of our family lives in the Wine Finger Lakes. Enjoy

I have to agree with those who suggested Gallo Burgundy. This is a decent quality, low priced wine and lends itself well to cooking. When you add several ingredients to a dish and cook for a length of time the fine qualities of expensive wines are lost. For drinking, I would buy Mondavi or another wine of good quality. The Zinfandel would have been fine with your dish. I doubt anyone, even with the finest palate , would have noticed the difference. Whatever you do, DON'T buy the so-called "cooking wines." They're the bottom of the barrel and contain huge amounts of sodium and taste awful. They can ruin a dish.

Visit my blogpage: A Day in the Life of this Drama Queen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom