"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Help with Burgundy (in cooking recipe)!

I have a recipe for button mushrooms that calls for a cup Burgundy - never bought it and am clueless in what to buy. Advice would be appreciated ! Thanks, Barb L. (Its Outback Steakhouse Sauteed mushroom recipe- (copycat one )

Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Burgundy is a red French wine named for the region of France where it originated. Burgundys are made with Pinot Noir grapes. You can find lots of reasonably priced Pinot Noir wines from the west coast of the US (California, Oregon and Washington). Look for Robert Mondavi as a decent and reasonably priced brand.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Head Chef

Burgundy is a red wine and goes very well with meat dishes. Just pick up a bottle and when you are through with the wine make sure that the cork is put in tightly.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Burgundy is a red French wine named for the region of France where it originated. Burgundys are made with Pinot Noir grapes. You can find lots of reasonably priced Pinot Noir wines from the west coast of the US (California, Oregon and Washington). Look for Robert Mondavi as a decent and reasonably priced brand.
Australia also makes some cheaper Pinots but their wines tend to take on a bit more spicy and acidic characteristics, due to their warmer climate. I personally don't care for an acidic Pinot.

The cheaper Mondavi Pinots are okay to cook with but if you're going to drink it, then at least buy the RM Carneros Pinot Noir. Don't the the RM "Private Selection" label fool you. The only thing private about it is that it sucks.

There are some decent, reasonably priced Pinots coming out of the California Central Coast. However, keep in mind that Pinot Noirs are one of the few wines where more often than not, the price DOES reflect the quality. With other grapes (merlot, cabernet, etc.), you can find diamonds in the rough with very good $10-15 bottles of wines. The Pinot Noir grape is the hardest grape to grow and cultivate into a successful wine and so the prices WILL most often give you an indication as to how the wine will taste. As a general rule, expect to pay upwards of $25-30 for a very good domestic Pinot, and $18-24 a bottle for a good to decent Pinot.

With that being said, I would recommend at least a $15-20 bottle of Pinot to cook with from the regions that Andy stated.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Shoot, just buy some Gallo Burgundy...great taste for cooking and cheap! I easily drink it on it's own.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

have to agree with Half Baked. If you only need a cup of the stuff for your dish and you never usually buy it, I'd go for the Gallo.

You can keep using it for other cooking situtations if you don't drink or are fussy about what you do drink. Or you could pop for one of the wines iron chef suggested and serve the rest to your guests.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Hey, it looks great in a carafe at Christmas...

Ask the guests to drink it sparingly...it'll be done w/i an hour.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Absolutely--use the Gallo or a comparable one. The chances are that Gallo burgundy will be better than a cheap pinot--probably the hardest wine there is to get a good one at a decent price. For a recipe like that you could use merlot or cabernet also.
Just an FYI--cooking schools use box wines for their wine needs. It is drinkable and that is what is required for a cooking wine.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Thank you every so much -knew I could count on you all --will go with HalfBaked, it just will be for cooking ! " Merry Christmas" and God Bless !, Barb L. (Babs)
Old 12-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I drink it while I'm cooking, in the winter....it's fine. I wouldn't be embarrassed to serve it to friends.