"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
Sous Chef
i say go for but by a fire extingisher if you dont alreayd have on and keep it handy. you should be fine.

there should be a spirnkler system in there and most times its not in the kitchen or near the stove for the reason of all the heat that comes out of there. there is a redish bulb in there that reacts to heat. if it ets to hot it breaks and triggers the springler system. it should be outside the kitchen. youll be fine.

Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I have done flambe in an apartment for that very dish, but I agree that a date probably isn't the best choice for trying it for the first time.

You CAN produce a serious fireball with enough booze, although it doesn't tend to smoke very much, if at all.

In regards to fire suppression systems, smoke sets off smoke alarms and heat sets off sprinklers. Smoke, in ANY amount, will NOT set off a sprinkler system. Still, you might want to try this at another time, as I agree that a building-wide fire alarm will not lend to the romantic atmosphere.

You could, I suppose, add the brandy and flame it like a few tablespoons at a time, minimizing flare-up with each addition, but I'm not sure what effect the multiple flare-ups would have on flavor, if any.

I agree with the "add brandy without igniting and let alcohol evaporate" sentiment. Coq Au Vin has enough cooktime, in various stages, with the pot lid off that all the alcohol should evaporate with no issue.

BrazenAmateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
For future reference - A couple TBS of Brandy poured right on top, drizzled around the center and immediately lit won't cause any problems - I am fairly certain. Don't even think about 1/2 cup or anything like that. I'm sure the date is over and done with and I haven't heard about any BIG fires - hope things went well.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Well, I did it, and it worked great. The flame jumped about a foot or so, at least 4-5 inches above the top of the dutch oven. I could feel the heat on my face.

But after making a pretty show for my date, the fire promptly died down safely. My date was impressed :)
jasonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
Sous Chef
where there umm other flames going on after that? wink wink nudge nudge...

how was the date

Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote