"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Senior Cook

dont mean to be a pest on this braising thing. But if braising is for tougher cuts of meat,works best on . How is it ok to say for meat balls baked in oven till done than put in Mariana sauce braising? I thought it was used for though meat not cooked? meat balls are fully cooked in oven .

Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
dont mean to be a pest on this braising thing. But if braising is for tougher cuts of meat,works best on . How is it ok to say for meat balls baked in oven till done than put in Mariana sauce braising? I thought it was used for though meat not cooked? meat balls are fully cooked in oven .
The first step in braising is to brown the meat over high heat before adding to a liquid. In this case, the sauce is not just a medium for cooking the metballs but the meatballs in the sauce are the dish.

Meatballs in sauce is a common dish. I know some people who add the raw meatballs to the sauce as well as some who brown them in the oven or a skillet on the stove top before adding to the sauce.

The point is the browning adds tons of flavor to the meat whether it's served on its own or in a sauce.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Senior Cook

i know the process of braising ....what is throwing me off track is usually u brown meats but that doesnt mean they are cooked or done, they finish in the liquid. But here when u brown the meat balls in the oven they are all ready brown and done cooking,and now u put them in the sauce....to me u are just warming up the sauce and meat balls. Am i missing something here?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I think it was over cooked. The crock pot temp does not match the 350 degrees that you had the oven set on.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Senior Cook

maybe i am not suppose to cook the meat balls completely in oven?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Senior Cook

i guess i wasnt suppose to bake the meat balls till they were completely done....just till there brown. Then finish up in the sauce. oops.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I brown the meatballs in a skillet, and then finish cooking them by adding them to the pot I'm cooking the sauce in.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I brown the meatballs in a skillet, and then finish cooking them by adding them to the pot I'm cooking the sauce in.
And that is how the old Italians do it. The modern day cook, browns and cooks them partially in the oven and then places them in the marinara gravy. They don't have the time nor do they want to stand over a frying pan and brown and turn the meatballs. While the meatballs are in the oven, they could be loading the dishwasher or some other small chore. Yet they are close enough to keep an eye on the oven. I am with the old timers.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And that is how the old Italians do it. The modern day cook, browns and cooks them partially in the oven and then places them in the marinara gravy. They don't have the time nor do they want to stand over a frying pan and brown and turn the meatballs. While the meatballs are in the oven, they could be loading the dishwasher or some other small chore. Yet they are close enough to keep an eye on the oven. I am with the old timers.
That's funny, I learned that from a real Italian, one who was born and grew up in Italy.

She even made me promise to not post her recipe on the Internet.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
That's funny, I learned that from a real Italian, one who was born and grew up in Italy.

She even made me promise to not post her recipe on the Internet.
So did I. I learned at the knees of Italians that didn't go back to Italy after the war. They were DPs. I think I was the only non-Italian in my town. Keyes vs. Mastrogiovani. Guess which one I was.

Tags
chicken