Help with picnic food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
OK, I need your help. This Saturday we are going to have a picnic in Central Park with some of our friends. When we usually get together we eat store bought hummus and bread and cheese with salami and maybe antipasta. Very Italian.

This time I was wanting to bring something similar just kicked up a little. My friend is going to bring fried chicken with a salad, very out of the ordinary for her. I thought about bringing some southern sides, but wasn't sure.

Here is what I have so far. If anyone has any better ideas (TNT recipes) that will go OK with the chicken please let me know. I will probably stick with the angel food cake because I get so many compliments on it.

Gida's white bean dip

1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons
1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 pitas
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl.

Cut each pita in half and then into 8 wedges. Arrange the pita wedges on a large baking sheet. Pour the remaining oil over the pitas. Toss and spread out the wedges evenly. Sprinkle with the oregano, salt, and pepper. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until toasted and golden in color. Serve the pita toasts warm or at room temperature alongside the bean puree.

antipasta
prochutto wrapped up with mozzerela and coated in some herbs. Serve with crackers.

Dessert
My homemade Angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream

Last edited by a moderator:
That all sounds GREAT abj - throw in some cantelope if you can find a good one to go with that prosciutto too!

lol abj, i'm gonna skate thru central park on saturday, picnic basket in hand shouting "a-b-j-cooking, where arrrrrrreeee yoooouuuuu"...

It should be quite a feast, Buckytom. Hope you can find us, I don't even know where we are going. My friend just sent me an email saying she found a new spot where we can eat and take our dogs. So if you have any pets, put some skates, (or I guess it's roller blades now days) on them and head over. Should be a nice day. I forgot to mention we're bringing sangria and our friends will probably bring some wine :) Can't wait!

Kitchenelf, the cantelope is a great idea. We definitly need some fruit as well. Hope I can find a good one. If not I will look at some honeydew.

lol abj, i was just kidding around, but thanks tho. i'm going hiking up in harriman state park on saturday with a buddy from ireland. can't wait to get back into the mountains again...

but next time you are picnicing, i'll be there...

I know Buckytom, I would have been very impressed if you were able to skate through the whole park, much less manageing to find us. Have fun on your trip and take lots of water.

Gida's white bean dip sounds great ABJ. I put a recipe in the ethnic forum I think for escarole pies. I cannot find it, but if your looking for something Italian you should try this out. It's good at room temperature or slightly chilled, in your case, being in the park, I would keep it chilled a bit. This recipe is from my sicillian ex mother in law so bare with the recipe as this is in her own words.

Escarole Pie

2 heads of escarole (also called chicory)
2 small boxes of raisins
pine nuts (three handsful)
3 cans anchovies in oil, chop then about 1/4
spanish olives with pits (1/2 jar)
buttermilk biscuits ( she used store bought ones that you bake)

Directions:

Steam or boil escarole, drain, press out liquid. Mix all ingredients and let the flavors blend overnight. The next day roll out your biscuits,(she stretched the dough out by hand) and place 2 spoonfuls onto the dough, pinch dough or use a fork, fry lightly in canolla oil. This serves 40 people, but no idea how many pies it actually makes. They should be the size of your hand when done. This may not go with the chicken, but it's certainly Italiano!

Back
Top Bottom