Help with Polish hunter's stew (Bigos)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffacake

Assistant Cook
Hello all! My first post her :). Awesome forum, been looking for something like this for ages!
Anyone I am from the UK and my girlfriend is Polish and always moaning on about how she can never find proper home made polish food in the UK and how much she misses it! Her favourite dish is Bigos so as I am in love with cooking I thought I would give it a shot and make it for her as a surprise. I know the general idea of how to make it so I didn't follow a recipe as such.
Pork shoulder, belly pork, lots of varieties of mushrooms, smoked polish sausage, bacon, prunes, sauerkraut marjoram, peppercorns, cabbage, onions and a beer among other things, however. I just checked on it while it is simmering away, and the liquid of the stew looks very greasy, I am not sure if this is right!
Could someone with some experience with polish cuisine give me some help and or advice? I would really appreciate it :).

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Pork belly and sausage contain a lot of fat. You can skim some off the top if there's too much. Sounds like you have the key ingredients.

When it i finished, place it in the fridge and let the fat congeal. Then you can remove it easily. :angel:

When it i finished, place it in the fridge and let the fat congeal. Then you can remove it easily. :angel:
This is what I do with any over-greasy casseroles. dishes like this are improved by making the previous day so you aren't losing anything. Just be sure it's re-heated thoroughly before you eat it.

Hey guys thanks for the advice, but Im not sure if I am meant to remove the dish, I am trying to find out if this particular polish dish is meant to be greasy.

Look at this picture. There are only little drops of fat on the surface.

Attachments

• 7-SAV150-77.Bigos-750x750.jpg
    7-SAV150-77.Bigos-750x750.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 496
Thanks Andy, that is so helpful, I am getting a result quite similar to that now :). Thank you again so much. I hope she likes it!

DSC_0674.jpg

Here is how its looking guys :) Quite happy with it. Just got to give it a little longer then time to plate up.

Back
Top Bottom