"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I believe the rolls were overcooked, that's all I can think happened, because I kept the skin on, or removed the skin but before tied in a roll replaced the skin. I seared because I like the golden color it adds. Andy M. you are right the sauce I made in the pan was delicious. Thank you so much to everybody that replied, I love simple dishes like that and that won't be the last time I prepared chicken rolls.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Head Chef

Just make sure that when you temp them, to get a reading from the center of the filling. (if you use a thermometer)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I usually check the temperature but I didn't this time, that was one biggest mistake.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Master Chef

I think searing in this case helps to hold moisture in. I’d say you over cooked it. The breast is the easiest thing to over cook. Also maybe adding a little bit more of broth would help, personally I like to add some red wine, but that may or may not work with your recipe. Also it might help to cover the dish you are baking in to keep moisture inside.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
Head Chef

Oh yes, definitely make sure your food is properly cooked. Apologies for my poor choice of wording!!!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I like to brown the rolls too. That nice brown color adds to the flavor of the rolls and any sauce you make in the pan.

Your rolls were too dry because they were overcooked. That's what happens with white meat. Use an instant read thermometer and cook to a minimum temperature of 161 F. Beyond that, the meat starts to dry out.
I also brown the rolls. That won't dry them out. Andy's suggestion of the thermometer (I use a digital probe and pull from the oven BEFORE it reaches 160 degrees, as they will continue cooking from the residual heat, usually at least another 10 degrees.)

Overcooking chicken will always dry it out, and wrapping it in bacon won't prevent that from happening.