help with tangelos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
i can still pick tangelos from my tree, they are huge and not very sweet. not really good eating out of hand. wondering if could juice and just add sugar. anyone know or know of another use?

I like Uncle Bob's suggestion. ;)

Otherwise, I would leave them on as long as possible, maybe they'll sweeten more? :neutral:

You could also grate the skin and store them in little freezer bags. They would be great to add to marinades and sauces. I would freeze the juices in ice trays then separate them into individual bags. Just because they're not sweet, you can still use them.

I purchased a bag last Sunday, and I cannot remember when they have been this sweet. They were wonderful!! I'm going back to get more tomorrow morning.

You can use them in any recipe that calls for oranges. I haven't had a tangelo in years. I don't even know if they sell them here. I love them though.

:)Barbara

I have some tangelos in the fridge and I'm going to grate one and add the zest to some pancake batter this a.m.

I like Uncle Bob's suggestion alot - yum! When in doubt, don't forget about the alcohol!

First thing that comes to mind is -- mix it with Vodka!!

To sweeten it up, use simple syrup and a sugar-rimmed glass.

You can also mix the juice with ice cream. Just pour it over vanilla ice cream in a glass, or pull out the blender and go totally nuts. Depending how sour the tangelos are, you might need to sweeten the juice with simple syrup or mix in some Grand Marnier or Triple Sec.

I've never had a tangelo, is it basically a variety of orange? There are some lovely recipes for orange or lemon cakes on here. I can point you to some if you're interested.

a tangelo is a cross between an orange and tangerine. in summer they are very sweet. in so ca the trees don't know when to quit, so have fruit in winter. if i don't use they just fall off and rot. all the ideas are just great. do like uncle bobs suggestion. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom