Help with Thai curry recipe please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen Ransom

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm cooking Thai red curry for dinner tonight. Currently, we're contrasting our toddler from baby food to family food and trying to get him to et hat we are eating.

My question is: If I cook the sauce, can i leave some coconut cream aside, and then use it to make the sauce milder for me to pour on some steamed chicken & veggies for him to eat?

Thanks in advance : )

I would thin it a lot, curry can be rough on a young digestive system. But, it is a good thought to give the baby a taste before covering all the food with the thinned sauce.

It's tough to reign in the heat when using canned paste (which I assume you're doing). Our daughter was always less enthusiastic about spicy food than the rest of us, so what I did was make it real mild, dish out her serving, and then add more curry paste to what was left. I guess that's kind of the opposite of what you are suggesting.

So how did the experiment go? Did your toddler enjoy his first taste of Thai cuisine?
If you make your own red curry, you can mix your ingredients using half or less of the usual amount of chili powder and cayenne pepper when you initially make the curry, setting a little aside for your child and then putting in the rest of the chili and cayenne. I have used this method when cooking for folks who like a milder curry, and my granddaughter does the opposite when making curry for her boyfriend, making the standard version and adding more or hotter chili peppers to a portion reserved for him.
Cheers.

PhilinYuma said:
So how did the experiment go? Did your toddler enjoy his first taste of Thai cuisine?
If you make your own red curry, you can mix your ingredients using half or less of the usual amount of chili powder and cayenne pepper when you initially make the curry, setting a little aside for your child and then putting in the rest of the chili and cayenne. I have used this method when cooking for folks who like a milder curry, and my granddaughter does the opposite when making curry for her boyfriend, making the standard version and adding more or hotter chili peppers to a portion reserved for him.
Cheers.

Experiment went great! I put 1 part sauce with 2 parts coconut cream and bought to the boil separately in the microwave. He could smell it cooking and started crying for dinner lol.
Thanks for the advice, will definitely be cooking it for the family again : )

I know it is bit late but it might be useful for the next time you feel like cooking Red Curry again. The good thing about introducing Red Curry first out of all the Thai curries is that it is a milder curry.

What you can do is to add in some pineapples to give it that extra sweetness.

I think your toddler will love the pineapple in the curry but I agree with PrincessFiona60 - go easy with the introduction of curry to your toddler but they will eventually get used to the taste and improve in the levels of spiciness as they grow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom